Can the Coens keep the ‘Grit’?

The Coen Brothers are releasing a new film, a remake of the classic Western “”True Grit”” originally starring John Wayne.

The Western has been lately revitalized and revisited by such films as “”3:10 to Yuma”” and “”Appaloosa.”” But knowing the Coen Brothers, this will be an entirely new approach to the Western.

The original “”True Grit”” is one of the best movies ever made and I hope the Coens do it justice. Too often is the remake not as good as the original. In this instance, with a plot involving a 14-year-old hiring a man of “”true grit”” to track down the man responsible for the death of her father, the Coen Brothers have a lot to consider.

It’s bad enough with books; it’s so hard to watch adaptations of them because they always have to conserve and compress and leave out important pieces of material that you’re dying to see.

But with remakes of films there seems to be a greater desire to deviate so that the audience feels as though they are watching a different film, and usually the director has a vision for the film that a previous director did not capture. Since it’s the Coen Brothers we’re talking about, expect quite a bit more violence and raw behavior: the trailer lets us glimpse a man riding a horse wearing the severed head of a bear to keep from being recognized.

With the grit taken care of, the Coen Brothers’ biggest challenge should be making sure their Reuben J. “”Rooster”” Cogburn lives up to John Wayne’s iconic interpretation of the tempestuous, intoxicated, tenacious U.S. marshall.

Here’s hoping he will.

””True Grit”” will be released Dec. 25.