Wise declares for NBA draft

Wise declares for NBA draft

The third leg of the Big Three has declared for the NBA Draft.

Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill have made themselves eligible for June’s NBA Draft, and on Thursday, Arizona Athletics officially announced Nic Wise has done the same.

The only difference is that Budinger and Hill will not return to school. Wise, on the other hand, has left open the possibility of returning to Arizona to play for Sean Miller by not hiring an agent.

Wise is not listed on any mock drafts for this year’s draft.

“”It’s always been my dream to play in the NBA,”” Wise said in a statement, “”and I feel like I need to take the next step and get some feedback on my game. This will only help me become a better basketball player.””

Wise, a 5-foot-10, 177-pound point guard, will complete his academic work through the spring semester, the university stated. He has until June 15 to withdraw his name from the draft eligible list and, by not signing with an agent and maintaining his coursework, he could return to college without losing eligibility.

Aran Smith, president of NBADraft.net, said testing the NBA waters is a terrible decision for Wise.

“”I don’t think he has any shot of being drafted this year, but I think the one advantage that players have, particularly in their junior year, is that they can get in front of a few scouts, and get some input on what they can improve upon to become NBA players,”” Smith said.

NBADraft.net pegged Wise as the No. 48 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft last week. His most recent projection has him bumped down to No. 56.

Wise averaged 15.7 points, 5.6 assists and 1.5 steals per game during the 2008-09 campaign.

As long as he doesn’t have any poor performances in front of NBA scouts and doesn’t hire an agent, Smith said Wise’s move is a positive one.

“”I think doing what he’s doing has helped a number of guys,”” Smith said.