Police Beat: Sept. 8

Drinking at a house party lands student in UMC

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrested three women at Coronado Residence Hall on Aug. 29.

The officer received a reference for a medical assist at 12:19 a.m. When the officer arrived at the dorm room, he saw a woman lying on the floor in an unresponsive state. The two other women stated that they had taken a taxi back from a house party, that the woman on the floor had been drinking and that they were unable to remember the address of the house.

Tucson Fire Department took the unresponsive woman downstairs to an ambulance, and she was then transported to University Medical Center.

The two other women both showed signs of intoxication. One woman asked if they could ride with the unresponsive woman to the hospital. The officer said that they would not be able to. He asked if she felt she was in any condition to drive, to which she replied “”No.””

The officer separately read each of the two women their Miranda Rights, which they stated that they understood. Both women stated that they had consumed two vodka drinks and had not been asked for an ID. The officer cited them for minor in possession, issued them a court date and released them.

Stolen stop sign

A stop sign was forcefully removed from the third level of Highland Avenue Parking Garage on Thursday.

A UAPD officer, who was on bicycle patrol duty at the time, was flagged down at 10:35 p.m. Once he arrived at the garage he noticed that someone had pulled the missing stop sign out of the concrete parking structure. The officer was later able to locate the damaged sign, and because it was pulled out of the cement so abruptly, the bolts used to anchor the pole down to the ground, and the pole itself were damaged. Parking and Transportation Services was advised of the incident.

Bike hits a pedestrian

A bicyclist was turning down Park Avenue when she collided with a pedestrian who had stepped off the sidewalk onto the crosswalk on Thursday at approximately 10:44 a.m.

Witnesses stated that the bicycle stopped at the stop sign before it crossed onto the street. The bicyclist and the pedestrian stated that they both saw one another and tried to avoid the collision, but mistakenly turned into each other’s paths.

The pedestrian had a swollen bump on her head and the bicyclist scraped and bruised her left knee. Paramedics cleared all of the injuries of the individuals involved in the accident. No damage was done to the bicycle.

Drag racing near campus

A UAPD officer spotted a white car traveling well above the speed limit on Speedway Boulevard near campus on Aug. 30. The officer used a “”LIDAR”” (Light Detection and Ranging) laser and measured the vehicle going at 80 mph.

The officer pulled the vehicle over and identified the driver with a valid license, insurance and registration card. The driver stated he and the two passengers in the vehicle were running late to school.

The three did not attend the UA, but were high school students. The driver of the white car was cited for excessive speeding and was released.