Dalí and Warhol on display at new UAMA exhibition

Courtesy of the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc.

Andy Warhol, Debbie Harry, Polacolor Type 108, 1980, Gift of the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. Warhol’s work, along with the art of Salvador Dalí, will be on display at the UA Museum of Art on Friday.

What do Salvador Dalí and Andy Warhol have in common? Besides the obvious fact they are both artists, the two will also have their pieces featured in new exhibits at the UA Museum of Art beginning Friday.

In order to promote the opening of these two exhibits, “Beauties: The Photography of Andy Warhol” and “Salvador Dalí: Our Historical Heritage,” the art museum will host an event titled “Friday Night Art.”

“It’s a fun evening of art, music, dance, activities and lectures to celebrate the openings of the exhibits,” said Gina Compitello-Moore, marketing manager for the art museum. “It’s also a nice way to showcase the museum for those who have not visited before.”

Some entertainment throughout the night will include a participatory Exquisite Corpse, where multiple artists add to a rotating composition, dancers from Fluxx Studio and music from DJ Buttafly. Other activities will include a scavenger hunt, a raffle for memberships for the art museum, refreshments from On A Roll and a photo booth.

Friday Night Art is a new event, though at times, the art museum does hold other events when large exhibits are first opened. These exhibits, specifically the Warhol display, have been a work in progress for years.

“I started working on research and putting the show together in June of 2014,” said Erica Gilliland, art history graduate student and guest curator of the Warhol exhibit. “While the majority of the exhibition is from the UAMA’s permanent collection gifted by the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts  and the Andy Warhol Photographic Legacy Program in 2008, several pieces have been lent to the UAMA by UA dance professor Douglas Nielsen.”

This exhibit has been in the making for seven years and also includes a Polaroid Big Shot Camera on display, which was lent to the art museum by the Center for Creative Photography; this was Warhol’s camera of choice.

There will also be lectures beginning at 5 p.m.  allowing visitors to learn more about the art museum and art in general.

Martina Shenal, School of Art interim director, will be at the event to discuss her own artwork. Gilliland will also talk about the process of acquiring Warhol’s work.

The final lecturer of the night will be Ed Warner, a docent at the art museum, who will guide visitors through the 15th century painting The Visitation by the Master of the Catholic Kings.

Friday Night Art will run from 5-7 p.m. at the art museum. Admission is free for museum members, UA and Pima staff, students, and faculty with valid IDs. Visitors with Tribal IDs, Snap Cards or Military IDs will also be treated to free admission. Donations will be accepted toward the art museum’s education programs and exhibits.

_______________

Follow Chelsea Cook on Twitter.