Getting down with the S.I.C.K.-ness

When there’s a jailbreak in the real world, it’s usually serious business. But in the realm of comedy, it’s hilarious. That’s why this year’s S.I.C.K Festival, the Southwest Intergalactic Comedy Kermis, looks to be ridiculous in the best kind of way. The event, presented by the UA’s Comedy Corner for the 18th year, is being held from Friday to Saturday, is a showcase for all things comedy and will be featuring a number of improv and sketch performances by various comedy troupes from all over Arizona.

The S.I.C.K. Festival has always been put on by Comedy Corner, the UA’s oldest student-run comedy troupe and one of the longest-running groups in the nation. Comedy Corner is also one of the first documented college sketch groups to include improvisation in its weekly routine. Its former members have created other sketch groups in Arizona, including the UA’s Charles Darwin Experience and ASU’s Farce Side Comedy Hour.

“”The concept this year for S.I.C.K. is a jailbreak, so there are many unique characters in the story that should be a lot of fun to watch. We are also implementing video production and musical aspects into the sketch, which is far different from our weekly shows of five to eight short sketches and 30 minutes of improv,”” said Ryan Lawson, one of festival’s producers.

Since 1992, the festival has been a popular event, bringing together some of the funniest acts in all of Arizona. People come from all over the state to participate because of its longstanding reputation of stellar acts.

Beside hosting comedy groups from all over the state, the festival also has a history of arranging celebrity appearances. In the past, the show has featured such celebrity acts as David Cross, Lewis Black and Demetri Martin. They’ve also had the likes of Chicago’s famous improv groups The Second City and Upright Citizens Brigade perform as headliners.

The biggest name involved in this year’s festival is headliner Craig Robinson. The comedian has recently been appearing in an increasing amount of movies and should put on quite the entertaining act.

Robinson is famous for portraying Darryl on “”The Office,”” Matheson in “”Pineapple Express”” and Nick in the recently released “”Hot Tub Time Machine.”” When trying to decide on the headliner, the members of Comedy Corner compiled a list of their favorite comedians and Robinson was among the names. They figured with the release of “”Hot Tub”” he would be an act people would really enjoy seeing.

Why Robinson of all people? Lawson said the staff felt he was a big enough name to bring in a large turnout.

“”S.I.C.K. Festival has been relatively small-scale the past couple years, so this year we really wanted to make it an incredible event that people would want to attend,”” he said.

Even if Robinson weren’t attending, the festival’s lineup would still be strong. Student groups that are participating include Tucson’s own Dick! Dick! Dick! and ASU’s Barren Mind Improv and Farce Side.

This year’s S.I.C.K. is one of the few collaborations between ASU and the UA as opposed to a competition, and everyone seems to be excited for it.

“”Honestly, (Barren Mind has) been awaiting S.I.C.K. since one of our first shows together down at the UA at the beginning of last semester. We’re all super excited to perform. And blow minds,”” said Samuel Lowy, director of ASU’s improv troupe.

The typical animosity that often exists between ASU and the UA doesn’t seem to exist within the comedy circle, probably since most of the groups came from the same source.

“”I speak for the whole troupe when I say we’re very excited to be collaborating with UA’s comedy troupe. ASU’s group was actually spawned from the Comedy Corner so we respect them a lot. We love either competing with them in comedy battles or collaborating with them to put on downright … awesome shows,”” said Michael Margetis, director of the Farce Side.

You might be thinking that — aside from Robinson’s performance — this is just a longer sketch show, but S.I.C.K. is special because of the extravagant and elaborate efforts by everyone involved. Comedy Corner will be performing a 40-minute, one-act sketch as opposed to performing a series of sketches.

With its longstanding history of providing quality entertainment and scheduled talent, this year’s S.I.C.K. Festival looks to be an event worth laughing at.