Police Beat

‘I am a man and I have my needs’

A man was arrested for public sexual indecency and interference/disruption of an educational institution on April 11 at 3:01 p.m.

Police responded to the library in reference to a man who was masturbating on the second level of the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center. When they arrived, police made contact with the reporting person who said that she saw a man masturbating while watching online porn. She had been walking by a man who was sitting at a computer in the northwest corner of the ILC when she saw him leaning back in the computer chair with one hand on the mouse and the other under his jacket. She said that she saw the man’s hand in his pants and he was making an up and down motion, which appeared to her to be him masturbating.

The woman said that she did not see the man’s penis at any time and she did not see exactly what he was watching on the computer. The woman said she did not want to be the victim of a crime, but she did want to report the incident because she thought that it was inappropriate.

Police then made contact with the man. He told them that he had come to the library to use one of the computers earlier in the day. Police then told them why they had made contact with him. The man said, “”I know it was wrong. I don’t have a sex life. I am a man and I have my needs.””

The man then told police that at 2:20 p.m. he started viewing porn online and became aroused. He then reached into his pants and began stroking his penis while watching the porn. He said that he was unable to ejaculate due to feeling uncomfortable with the large number of library patrons around him. The man told police that he attempted to conceal the act by placing his oversized windbreaker over his crotch area. He insisted that he did not make his penis visible to anyone.

The man was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked on the charges.

Loiterer loses temper while panhandling

A man was cited and released for loitering on April 11 at 11:21 a.m.

Police responded to Crowder Hall, 1017 N. Olive Rd., in reference to a man that had entered one of the rooms and was panhandling. Police saw a man who matched the description they were given on the sidewalk west of Second Street and Olive Road.

Police made contact with the man who became very agitated and verbally argumentative with them. They asked him if he had gone into Crowder Hall. He said that he had gone inside to use the restroom. Police asked the man if he had been on campus the day before, Friday, April 10, at the Student Union Memorial Center asking people for money. The man replied, “”Yeah, so?””

An off-duty Pima County Sheriff’s Department Lieutenant said that he had been in the room that the man entered in Crowder Hall. The off-duty officer said that the man came into the room and began panhandling. He also said that the man became very verbally aggressive with the students in the room. When the off-duty lieutenant made contact with the man, he became more agitated and verbally argumentative and left the room. He also said that students were fearful for their safety because of the man’s aggressive behavior towards them.

The man was cited and released for loitering. Because of his aggressive behavior and placing students in fear for their safety, he was also given an Exclusionary order banning him from any UA owned, rented or controlled property for six months.

Police discover bloody, shoeless out-of-towner

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol on April 11 at 1:20 a.m.

Police responded to the volleyball court near Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall in reference to a man who was bleeding and stumbling in the area. When they arrived they searched the surrounding area and found a man on the east side of the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall who matched the description. The man was standing in front of the gate to the dorm.

The man was not wearing any shoes and his feet were bleeding. Police were unable to get information from the man because of his intoxicated state. Medical response was called to the scene.

They were unable to determine the place where the man was coming from or where he lived. Police eventually found the man’s ID and called the last number dialed on his cell phone. Another man answered and responded to the scene to give them information about the man. The man who police called told them that the man had been at a party with him on 32nd Street and Kino Parkway and that he had left without anyone knowing. He also said that he and the man were from out of town and visiting friends from back home.

The man was transported to University Medical Center where police later cited him for being a minor in possession of alcohol. UMC staff reported that his blood-alcohol content was .238.