CATwalk unites Greek life

Wildcats will be on the prowl during the ninth annual CATwalk tomorrow.

All monies raised for CATwalk, a fundraiser for women’s cancer research, are donated to the Bobbi Olson Endowment at the Arizona Cancer Center.

Bobbi Olson, former head coach Lute Olson’s wife, died Jan. 1, 2001 after a two-and-a-half-year battle with ovarian cancer.

“”When Bobbi Olson passed away the fraternity and sorority community wanted to do something to honor Bobbi and to show support for Lute, his family and the whole Tucson community since she was a mother figure for the team and very prominent within the Tucson community,”” said Johanne Jenson, director of Fraternity and Sorority Programs. “”They decided to do a walk in her honor and it started with a small walk around the Mall and it’s turned into much more.””

While no longer a mandatory event, fraternities and sororities will be largely in attendance.

“”We did do an incentive this year,”” Jenson said. “”The fraternity or sorority with the most people registered gets a full page in our publication.””

Each chapter gets a quarter of a page, but the winner will get more space to “”feature more information about the chapter and include more photographs of members or the house or whatever the want,”” Jenson said.

There are currently 3,068 people registered for the walk.

Kappa Kappa Gamma has 208 people registered, more than any other greek organization. They have also raised the most money,  $6,200 in total, including a donation of $1,000.

Delta Gamma follows closely with 199 people registered, and has made it a sisterhood event for the sorority.

“”We think the walk is a really important event, and a feel-good opportunity for everyone in Greek Life to show people the positive side of Greek Life,”” said Mary Catalini, president of Delta Gamma.

Delta Gamma has planned several other events to add to the day.

“”We have a program within Delta Gamma, it’s called Stable Connections, and so we have a representative from our national organization speaking and connecting the event we’re participating on campus to the values and ideals we have as Delta Gammas,”” Catalini said.

All the greek organizations on campus feel a special connection to the walk and a duty to volunteer.

“”We actually like to give back to the U of A community and every Monday in chapter we discuss stuff like this and they (the members) just love to volunteer,”” said Conner Wielgus, Pi Kappa Phi’s social chair. “”And we definitely feel a strong connection to the cause and enjoy taking part in the walk.””

Of the fraternities, Pi Kappa Phi has registered the second largest amount of people, with 100 out of the 117 members of the house registered.

UA athletes are also represented in the walk.

UA men’s and women’s track and field team will be walking again this year.

“”We try to find as many things to do in the community but this one is a little more special for us,”” Harvey said. “”It’s a great cause and any time any of our athletes, or our department, can be involved with something it’s definitely a great thing.””

UA head coach Fred Harvey suspects the team will have 20 to 40 people walking on Saturday.

Jenson said that while there aren’t many athletic teams registered for the event they often “”show up and support the walk in different ways.””

Even Wilbur and Wilma will be in attendance during the kids walk at 12:45 p.m.

In the past three years, CATwalk has raised a total of $350,000. Their goal is to raise half a million by CATwalk 2010, Jensen said.

If you go:

Today: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Pre-Registration and race packet pick up.

UA Bookstore, Student Union Memorial Center

Saturday, November 14 8:30 a.m. Registration and Packet Pick-Up

Cost: $25 per person to register

Schedule:

10:00 a.m. 10k Run Start

10:00 a.m. 5k Run Start

12:30 p.m. 5k Walk Start

12:45 p.m. Kids Walk Start

2 p.m. Award Ceremony and Raffle Prize Giveaway

11:30 a.m. – 3pm Festivities on the Mall (Music, Comedy, Food, Health Screenings and more!)

For more information go to catwalk.arizona.edu