From the blog: Junior McClellan may have lost redshirt year

Jawann McClellan played a total of 45 minutes in two games last season at Oregon before suffering a torn ligament in his shooting wrist.

The junior guard then underwent surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee April 19, but for all that pain, it doesn’t appear that McClellan will receive a redshirt because the two games in which he appeared came too late in the season, according to NCAA rules.

McClellan has lost significant weight in the offseason but doesn’t appear to be at 100 percent physically. He chose to work on shooting drills instead of playing five-on-five Saturday and did noncontact drills at practice yesterday. Ivan Radenovic and Daniel Dillon, both of whom sustained minor injuries over the summer, also did noncontact drills yesterday.

Radenovic could have been a member of the Serbia and Montenegro national team this summer, but coaches told the Belgrade native that he would likely receive limited playing time. The forward chose to come back to Arizona in time for the start of the school year and will participate in the team’s trip to Canada Sept. 2-4.

Arizona players in the NBA often work their way back to Arizona to share words of wisdom with current players, but Salim Stoudamire may have been slightly unexpected. The oft-shy Atlanta Hawks guard was in vocal mode during the scrimmage Saturday, shouting positive reinforcement as well as helping big men play the pick and roll the right way.

Big men Kirk Walters and Mohamed Tangara both look more polished offensively compared to last year. Walters, who spent most of his summer in Tucson, may be out of a starting spot if Lute Olson decides to go small with a frontcourt of Chase Budinger, Williams and Radenovic. Tangara has a semireliable jump hook and a drop-step move to counter the hook.

Scrimmages are a far cry from games, however, so any advancements either of the big men have made won’t come to fruition until the season starts.