ASUA Senate briefs

ASUA revealed a new budget for the 2006-2007 school year yesterday.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona has more than $1.1 million in revenue and has allocated $87,000 to SafeRide, the greatest amount of money ever given to the program by ASUA, according to ASUA treasurer Carrie Pixler.

The money will go toward the purchase of new cars, the employment of drivers and the support of new programs tentatively in development.

One such program could provide escorts to walk to or from classes with students on campus late at night.

The Women’s Resource Center was given $6,000 to revamp service by holding monthly events and expanding the WRC library and supplies.

The money, given in an effort to encourage a higher amount of student involvement in WRC services, will also support redecoration, self-defense courses, domestic violence awareness and other educational outreach services.

Additionally, $70,000 was allotted toward covering the costs of special events, at least four of which are concerts planned for this school year.

One of the concerts, UA Rock the Vote, will be held before elections to encourage students to vote.

The ASUA Senate also passed a project proposal to reduce the cost of textbooks by increasing the amount of available used books, eliminating the adoption of new textbook editions and reducing the amount of costly and unnecessary bundled textbook packages.

Additionally, the proposal mandates that professors submit their booklists on time to reduce the cost of late submissions.

On average, students spend about $900 a year on textbooks, a figure which should be reduced by about 30 percent from the fall 2006 semester to the fall 2008 semester, if this project proves successful, according to the project proposal.

Jennifer Kerr, one of three senators working closely on this project, said she would like to see price reductions in textbooks as early as next semester.