Police Beat: Oct. 12

Intoxicated girl remembers dorm, but not room

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 1 at approximately 12:15 a.m. when they observed an apparently intoxicated woman exit a vehicle in front of the dorm.

Officers made contact with the woman west of the volleyball court outside Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. According to police, the woman appeared very intoxicated. She had trouble keeping her balance, her speech was slurred and officers could detect the strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth as she spoke.

The woman admitted to drinking at a party, but was unable to tell police where. The woman also stated that she lived in Coronado, but gave officers the incorrect room number three times.

The woman was cited on charges of minor in possession and escorted to her dorm room, where she was released. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students.

Bookstore shoplifter referred to Chinese consul

UAPD officers were dispatched to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 2 at 11 a.m. in reference to a shoplifter in custody.

Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who told police that at approximately 10:55 a.m., he witnessed a woman walk to the east side of the second floor and grab five pens from a display. The woman then put the pens in her purse and attempted to leave the store, where bookstore security personnel stopped her.

Police questioned the woman, who confirmed the story. The woman identified herself with a CatCard and told officers that she was a Chinese national.

Police cited the woman on charges of shoplifting and released her on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students and the Chinese consul.

Some books are too good to pay for

UAPD officers were dispatched to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 2 at 1:53 p.m. in reference to a shoplifter.

Upon arrival, officers were led to a conference room on the first floor of the bookstore, where the suspected shoplifter was in custody. Officers spoke with security personnel, who told police that from the video surveillance room, they watched the man enter the bookstore and sit down to read a book. The man eventually got up and took the book with him as he attempted to exit the store.

Officers questioned the man, who admitted, “”I fucked up and I stole a book.”” According to police, the man claimed he had read the book, loved the author and decided to steal the book.

Officers cited the man on charges of shoplifting and he was released on scene after being issued a trespass notice prohibiting him from entering the bookstore until the matter was resolved. The incident was referred to the Dean of Students.

Being a doorman is a thankless job

UAPD officers were standing near the intersection of Cherry Avenue and Drachman Street on Oct. 2 at 10:05 p.m. when they heard shouts coming from the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house at 1525 E. Drachman St.

Officers observed as two men walked into the street, followed by two other men who began yelling for police to respond to the house.

Police questioned the two men yelling for officers to respond. According to the men, the two other men had come to the fraternity for a party and were trying to get into the house. The doorman denied the men entrance, at which point one of the men struck him in the face several times. Both men then fled into the street.

Police questioned the man identified as the attacker. According to him, the doorman had been “”talking trash”” after denying him access and he admitted to punching the doorman in the face. He also claimed his friend had not been involved, and told police he blamed his actions on alcohol.

Police cited the man on charges of assault and transported him to his residence, where he was released. The doorman refused medical treatment. Greek Life was notified of the incident.

Intoxicated man refuses to cooperate, wants to call his mother

UAPD officers responded to the area of Campbell Avenue and University Boulevard on Oct. 2 at 11:35 p.m. in reference to a welfare check on an intoxicated man.

Upon arrival, officers found the man lying on his back with his arms and legs spread out and his eyes closed. Officers attempted to wake the man for several minutes before he responded.

The man asked police, “”What do you want? Go away.””

Officers asked the man if he could sit up. He responded that he could, but refused, claiming that he had had “”too much to drink.””

According to police, the man had bloodshot eyes and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth. The man eventually produced a wallet and handed police a driver’s license that belonged to his older brother. When police confronted the man, he began to get agitated and aggressive.

Officers then handcuffed him and put him in the back of a patrol car. The man pleaded with officers not to be taken to jail. Police informed the man that they would cite him for minor in possession and possession of a fake ID and transport him to his residence.

Upon arrival at the man’s residence, the handcuffs were removed and the man was asked to sign his citations.

The man again became agitated and told officers, “”I’m not going to sign this shit. I want to call my mother.””

Police placed the man back into handcuffs and searched him, at which point they discovered another driver’s license that belonged to the man’s oldest brother, as well as an Arizona driver’s license with the man’s name and a fake date of birth on it.

Police transported the man to Pima County Jail where he was booked on charges of minor in possession, possession of a fake ID and two counts of unlawful use of a driver’s license. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.