Apollo and Lenae sing their hearts out at 191 Toole

Ben Tisdale

The audience joined Apollo in singing some of his hit songs from his most recent album. 

On Oct. 22, Ravyn Lenae and Omar Apollo performed at 191 Toole on their “Prototype” tour. Before the show started crowds stretched down the block with fans eager to get inside.

Around 7 p.m., Ravyn Lenae started the show by singing songs from her recent album Hypnos with a crowd that slowly grew. Lenae, an R&B artist from Chicago with over a million monthly listeners on Spotify, excited and entertained the crowd with her smooth falsetto and her easy-to-listen R&B songs. Lenae ended her set with her hit “Sticky.”

Ravyn Lenae sang songs from her recent album “Hypnos."
Ravyn Lenae sang songs from her recent album “Hypnos.”

“I loved the opening act, hearing it made me like her more and I will listen to her more,” Ashley Register, a concert attendee, said. 

After Lenae’s set, Omar Apollo arrived on stage with much applause, singing and dancing to hits like “Useless” from his 2020 album, Apolonio. He continued with tracks like “Endlessly” and “Archetype” from his newest album, Ivory and its deluxe version, Ivory (Marfil). Apollo rocked the show with swooning R&B hits and energetic pop songs like “Tamagotchi.”

Apollo, an artist with over 13 million monthly listeners on Spotify recently released the deluxe album Ivory (Marfil). After this, he started the “Prototype” tour with Ravyn Lenae to garner support for the deluxe album.

Throughout his setlist, Omar Apollo danced, sang and played guitar while many fans held up signs and big cardboard hearts. He talked with the audience, even signing albums and giving an elegant happy birthday song in Spanish to an audience member. He was also given a cowboy hat with the words “Marfil,” “Ivory” and “Endlessly” by someone in his audience. During the setlist, he played some of his Spanish songs like “En El Olvido” from Ivory and remarked on the large Hispanic Mexican population in Tucson. 

Omar Apollo singing while wearing a hat given to him by an audience member.

“I liked how Omar had a connection with the crowd. They kept addressing how they had a lot of Hispanics in the crowd and Tucson’s Hispanic population,” Register said. 

“Omar Interacting with fans and having a good time was my favorite part,” said Mariah Martinez, who has been a fan since high school. 

After playing for nearly an hour and a half, Apollo told the audience about his next song “Evergreen,” his most famous track.

The audience erupted cheering and shouting. As he swooned over what he called his saddest track, he finished the song and then left the stage. After several minutes of chanting for an encore, Apollo came back to perform the upbeat “Go Away” as the finale. After dancing alongside a guitar player accompanying him and singing his heart out on stage, Apollo ended the show, and the venue cleared out, leaving a long line to buy merchandise after the show.

“It was an all-around great show,” Martinez said.

With intense dancing and passionate singing, Omar Apollo and Ravyn Lenae left the crowd wanting more.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter