Hamlet 2

I loved “”Hamlet 2″” like Sexy Jesus would have loved nachos(?). Its humor varies from low-brow to spoonerism, with thoughtfully-cast newcomers and appreciated humorists.

“”Hamlet 2″” should be seen for many reasons.,one of which is Tucson appreciation. Acid trips on Ocotillo (peyote?) and quips understood by anyone exposed to Tucson’s oddities are a couple of the reasons why this irreverent comedy should be where you waste mom and pop’s college fund.

Dana Marschz (Steve Coogan), a man whose dream of becoming an actor has long ago gimped its way to the hospice, is a drama teacher at a Tucson high school. This reject of a city, the chorus tells us, is where “”dreams go to die.”” Steve’s character resembles that of a dimwitted giraffe having problems grappling with adult reality and injecting his daddy issues into any complication.

Very true to Arizona’s present educational situation, the high school has raped and pillaged elective courses, and left only drama, which Marschz teaches for gas money. The class has a difficult time caring about drama, until Dana bonds the classroom by taking them out and accidentally getting them all drunk.

When Dana hands them his last dregs of self-respect and hope in the form of “”Hamlet 2,”” their overall lack of enthusiasm is lifted. Constantly dodging authorities, the class pulls together the a version of Hamlet that spits in the Bard’s face, with the help of the Tucson Gay Men’s Choir, Elizabeth Shue the nurse, the ACLU and shop class.

– Maura Lastovicka