Buffalo man accused of failing to tell partner of HIV

A 20-year-old Buffalo man who is HIV positive may have had sex with more than one unsuspecting partner, city police said today as they announced his arrest.

Police also issued a request for other sexual partners of the man to contact them and seek medical treatment.

Darryl Fortner, of Sherman Street, was charged with first-degree reckless endangerment for allegedly having sexual intercourse with a woman and failing to tell her he was infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Sex Offense Squad detectives withheld additional details on how they became aware of the case, but said they believe Fortner had sex with other individuals living in Western New York.

He was arraigned this morning in Buffalo City Court and is being held at the Erie County Holding Center because he has been unable to post $15,000 bail.

Police spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge said detectives are hoping that other people who may have had sexual encounters with him will call the squad at 851-4073 or 851-4074.

“”Potential victims,”” DeGeorge said, “”are urged to seek medical advice.””

And while the investigation is in its early stages, it is reminiscent of the investigation of former Jamestown and New York City resident Nushawn Williams, who in 1998 pleaded guilty to infecting 13 young women with HIV.

Williams, now 33, remains incarcerated though he completed his 12-year prison term. The state attorney general wants Williams indefinitely detained under the 2007 civil confinement law.

A civil trial to determine Williams’ fate is scheduled to be conducted May 9 in Buffalo.