Baskets & Bullets

• Parrom scores first points— UA freshman wing Kevin Parrom scored his first collegiate points with a pair of layups with a little more than 5 minutes to go in the game. He went 0-for-5 from the free throw line.

Parrom missed the first 10 games of the season because of a stress fracture in his foot.

“”Honestly, it’s been rough being out for a period of time,”” Parrom said. “”… I just have to go back to practice and keep working on my game, and hopefully it will come through.

“”I know the plays and stuff. I just have to get out there and do what I do,”” he added. “”Right now it’s just a real hard time for me because I haven’t played in a while. But once I find my groove I’ll be fine.””

• ‘Swish’ keeps on swishin’— Nicknamed for his size, 6-foot-11 center Alex Jacobson is called Tree by his teammates and friends. But ever since his game against Lipscomb, when he scored 6 points, his teammates have been calling the redshirt sophomore Swish.

Jacobson has gone 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 11 points in just 30 minutes of work in the last three games. He scored just 7 points in 39 minutes in seven games before this recent three-game stretch.

• Slowly climbing— After missing a game with a mid-foot sprain and then not starting against North Carolina state last week, junior Jamelle Horne was back in the starting lineup against BYU.

Horne had just 5 points on 2-for-8 shooting, but he did pull down six rebounds. His stock in NBADraft.com’s 2011 mock draft rose one spot from No. 47 to No. 46 since his game against NC State.

• So quiet— McKale Center didn’t have its usual pep Monday night, as a result of the pep band and cheer squad being out of town for the football team’s bowl game in San Diego on Wednesday.

• Crazy 8s— Five total players from each team had 8 points apiece in the first half. UA’s  Nice Wise scored eight straight Wildcat points at a period in the first half. Those were the only points, however, Wise scored in the game.

• Falling short— With Arizona’s loss to BYU, the Wildcats fell to 6-6 on the season. In the last seven seasons, Arizona has never gone in to Pacific 10 Conference play with less than seven wins. It started Pac-10 play with nine wins in each of the last three seasons.

The Wildcats play at USC on Thursday.

“”We’ve challenged ourselves like all of the Arizona teams of the past,”” said UA head coach Sean Miller. “”My biggest worry is that you can really lose confidence when you get beat like that, and you’ve gone through the 12-game schedule that we have.””