Portrait of an artist

Portrait of an artist

Who: Filmmaker George Couston.

What: “”Seven 2 Nine,”” a film produced by Couston that will be exhibited in October at 36 Chambers, 44 S. Sixth Ave.

Bio: Couston was born and raised in Tucson. He graduated from Tucson Magnet High School and is now a junior at the UA, majoring in media arts production.

Wildcat: What inspires you?

Couston: My friends inspire me. They’re a big inspiration, to make work that pleases them and that they can respond to and make a personal connection with.

W: What art inspires you?

C: I like anything under the pretense of surrealism – things that challenge viewers and also primitive work that is in the raw and that is unpolished.

W: What makes you a unique filmmaker/gives you a unique voice?

C: I never censor myself. I always aim to offend, and I try to be satirical with other genres. I like to put my own spin on them and turn them into something new and point out insults. But for the most part I really do embrace the making of student films and how clichǸd it is.

W: What makes student filmmaking so clichǸd?

C: That everyone who is working on films that isn’t contracted by major studios relies on styles that are all very relative to one another and kind of share a similar style. All of the styles kind of collect into one melting pot; that makes it a clichǸ.

W: What is your most recent work?

C: My most recent film is “”Seven 2 Nine.”” Also, last summer I had a project called “”Thr33″” (Three) that started as a student project. It went really well and it’s been a regular spot at the Friday shorts at The Loft Cinemas.

W: When did you start making films?

C: I started working in middle school. A teacher who was a technology teacher at the time had just gotten two VCRs and, basically, deck-to-deck editing. We were messing around with the camera and it turned into something that I liked. Later that summer he started a video club that I joined and from then on, I’ve had an interest.

W: What do you think of Tucson?

C: I love it. It’s the only city in Arizona that I want to be in. I’ve seen it go through a lot of changes, for good or for worse. Tucson is always the place that I want to come back to for a lot of reasons.

W: What’s next for you?

C: Television for Access Tucson, Channel 12 News as well as the TUSD channel is doing a six-part series that is focusing on an elementary school program that shows kids, through music and fine arts, ways to progress in school.