Exhibit to feature little- to well-known artists

Robert Cockes Rain-For EA, an oil on canvas, will be on display at An Eclectic Eye, an exhibit at the Tucson Museum of Art.
    Robert Cocke’s ‘Rain-For EA,’ an oil on canvas, will be on display at ‘An Eclectic Eye,’ an exhibit at the Tucson Museum of Art.

When it comes to groundbreaking art events, Tucson is ahead of the game. Starting Sept. 15, the Tucson Museum of Art will host “”An Eclectic Eye: Selections from the Dan Leach Collection,”” a presentation of one man’s passion for art.

Leach, a Tucson resident, is an avid art collector who has acquired more than 1,500 pieces of art from all over the world over the past few decades.

The idea for the show was conceived two years ago and will present a small portion of his collection for public view.

“”He has such an expansive collection of art,”” said Julie Sasse, chief curator for the Tucson Museum of Art. “”That is why we named the show ‘eclectic’ because he really has so many different pieces that it is impossible to compare them.

The thing that is so special about this collection is it puts local artists next to internationally known artists.

Julie Sasse, chief curator

“”He really has a true love for art,”” she added. “”Every square inch of his house is covered in art. He’s not a decorator. He truly cares about the artistic process and is passionate about the pieces that he owns.””

The show will feature paintings, photographs, works on paper, ceramics, wooden bowls and art glass, Sasse said.

“”So many insiders know about his collection and the artists included in it, but not the public,”” she said. “”It is such a wonderful opportunity for the community.””

The collection will feature 200 pieces of art from all over the world, including Japan, Mexico, France, Spain and Belgium and will feature artists such as Thomas Hart Benton, Georges Rouault and Esteban Vicente.

The show will highlight local artists as well.

Tucson artists featured in the show include James A. Cook, Bailey Doogan, Jim Waid, James Davis and Lynn Taber.

“”(Leach) has long been a supporter of art, not just regional but international,”” Sasse said. “”The thing that is so special about this collection is it puts local artists next to internationally known artists. It is saying that these (local) artists are very important.””

With such an expansive collection of styles and artists, it was difficult to choose what to showcase, Sasse said.

“”I have been working with him for over a year on this show,”” Sasse said. “”It was quite an ordeal because how do you decide? We feel bad for all the regional art which didn’t get included. We wanted everyone to be included, but at some point, you run out of room.””

The show will run through Jan. 6 at the Tucson Museum of Art, 140 N. Main Ave. The museum is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. and Sundays from 12-4 p.m. For more information, visit

www.tucsonmuseumofart.org.