Police: Homeowner kills man during break-in

Three men, at least one of them armed, stormed into a home in East Islip early Wednesday, shooting a dog before a resident shot and killed one of the invaders and wounded another, Suffolk County police said.

Police said the shootings were at 12:18 a.m. in a home on East Adams Street. One man was pronounced dead at the scene, while another was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, police said. His condition was not immediately known.

A third man who fled was arrested a short time later about a mile away, and charges against him are pending, police said.

Police said the resident, who was not identified, was not injured. The dog was expected to survive.

A police spokeswoman said Wednesday the house appears to have been targeted. The home is on a block of neat, well-kept houses.

Police said the shooting was in a ground-floor apartment in the home. The house has another apartment in the basement and one on the second floor, police said.

Police said two women and one man were in the house at the time of the break-in. It wasn’t clear which apartment they were in. Another woman was outside.

The trio stormed the ground-floor apartment, where they shot the dog twice, police said. Hearing the commotion, the man in the apartment grabbed a shotgun and shot the armed man and a second intruder, police said.

The third intruder ran away, but was later caught, police said.

Police did not identify any of the suspected intruders. They also could not immediately say if weapons were recovered. The investigation was continuing.

A neighbor who did not want to give her name said she called 911 between midnight and 12:30 a.m. when she saw suspicious people in the area.

Suffolk did not have a recorded homicide through the first 102 days of 2011, officials said this week. But officials are continuing to search for a suspected serial killer and more remains after the remains of at least nine and perhaps 10 bodies have been recovered since December along Ocean Parkway in Suffolk and Nassau.