ASUA briefs

Senator lobbies for leadership funding

ASUA Sen. Dustin Cox talked about A-Town, a collegiate social justice and leadership conference. The retreat will address issues of racism, bias, bigotry, sexism, homophobia, violence and more.

“”This is to promote social justice,”” Cox said. “”It is the first time it is available to college students.””

Cox plans to apply for Associated Students of the University of Arizona funding next week to help pay for some of the event’s $28,900 price tag. He wasn’t sure how much he will need to ask for from ASUA because there are still 30 different funding sources he is looking into, but said it would be on next week’s Senate agenda.

The conference will be in Oracle from Jan. 10-15. Forty interested students from the UA can apply to go to A-Town. They can contact Cox at dccox@email.arizona.edu for more information and an application.

In other business:

? The ASUA Pride Alliance is still looking for names to run in a Oct. 10 Arizona Daily Wildcat advertisement.

“”If you are out and proud, send an e-mail to Rosie (Reid-Correa), who is the co-director of Pride Alliance, at rreidcor@email.arizona.edu”” Cox said. “”If you are not out, then this is a good opportunity to come out.””

A few things were approved by ASUA without discussion:

? The Anatomy Enthusiasts Society requested funding to hold sessions to examine the cadavers that ASUA had funded last year. ASUA approved $1,180 of the $2,593.50 requested.

? ASUA approved $798 of the $1,189.20 requested for two members of the National Society of Black Engineers to attend a conference in Seattle.

? ASUA approved $700 of the $2,400 requested to help the Alpha Phi Omega community service club rent a room, get audio equipment and pay advertising expenses to support an event for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

? The Filipino American Student Association requested financial help to send 59 members by bus to California State University-Fullerton’s Friendship Games. ASUA funded the event registration fee and the hotel cost for one room. ASUA approved $359.99 of the $5,912.85 requested.

– compiled by Siobhan Daniel