BREAKING: UAPD arrests suspect accused of making campus threats

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

The University of Arizona Police Department, in partnership with the FBI, arrested a suspect on charges of making a “terroristic threat” Monday night, according to an email sent by the Office of Public Safety to the student body Tuesday afternoon.

The UAPD apprehended Michael Pengchong Lee for “threatening to commit a mass shooting at the University of Arizona.” According to the Office of Public Safety, these threats were made in a group chat, and specifically targeted Greek Life on campus. 

In the same email, Interim Vice President and Chief Safety Officer within the Office of Public Safety Steve Patterson noted that “there is no current or pending threat to the University community from this individual, and no other individuals are being sought.”

Lee, who is not affiliated with the university, was booked into Pima County Jail and is facing a state charge of making a terrorist threat. Lee could possibly face federal charges as well, according to the Office of Public Safety. 

UAPD was first made aware of this threat on Sunday. Working with the FBI, the UAPD identified Lee and monitored his behavior until he was arrested approximately 24 hours after UAPD had received the initial report, as detailed by the Office of Public Safety.

According to the Office of Public Safety’s email, “this case is an example of a successful collaborative effort among UAPD, the Threat Assessment and Management Team (TAMT), and the FBI’s Southern Arizona Violent Crime and Gang Task Force.”

The Office of Public Safety is currently working with the Greek Life community on campus “to offer any needed support,” according to the email.

In an email sent to members of UA Greek Life Tuesday evening, UA’s Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Fraternity & Sorority Programs Marcos Guzman announced a special meeting for all chapter presidents. The meeting will be held Wednesday and will include only one representative from each chapter, according to Guzman.

Guzman also noted in the email that representatives from the UA’s Threat Assessment and Management Team will be present at the meeting to answer questions and “offer valuable information.”

For the greater campus community, Patterson recommended resources like Campus Health’s Counseling & Psych Services and the Dean of Students Office. 

Patterson also encouraged members of the university community to “report concerning or threatening behavior to the TAMT.”  

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)