Police Beat: Oct. 15

Woman runs stop sign, winds up with DUI

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol on Park Avenue on Oct. 3 at approximately 11:40 p.m. when they observed a gray Nissan Frontier fail to stop at a stop sign. Police pulled out behind the Nissan and further observed that the vehicle had a non-operational taillight. Officers initiated a traffic stop and made contact with the driver who identified herself with an Arizona driver’s license. Police noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming from the woman’s vehicle and they asked her to step outside for questioning. According to police, the woman had red, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and a flushed complexion. She declined a preliminary breath test and was administered field sobriety tests instead. Police determined that the woman was intoxicated and placed her under arrest for driving under the influence. She was given a mandatory breathalyzer test, which confirmed a blood alcohol content between .099 and .100. The woman was additionally cited on charges of DUI with a BAC of .08 or above, failure to stop for a stop sign and vehicle equipment not in working order. She was fingerprinted and released on scene.

Woman sleeping in parking lot winds up in Pima County Jail

UAPD officers on routine patrol on Cherry Avenue on Oct. 5 at 10:40 p.m. observed an apparently unoccupied vehicle in Lot 2147 with it’s lights still on. Police continued their patrol and returned to the lot several minutes later to find the vehicle still unoccupied with the lights still on. As officers approached the vehicle, a passenger showed her head from inside the car. The passenger identified herself verbally and told police that her wallet had been stolen and she had no other form of identification on her person. The woman apologized to officers and claimed she had been sleeping in the car. A records check of the woman revealed an outstanding Tucson Police Department warrant. Officers placed the woman into handcuffs and began a search of her vehicle. Inside the vehicle, police found a case containing 4 syringes and a small amount of a substance believed to be heroin. The woman was cited on charges of possession of narcotic paraphernalia. She was transported to Pima County Jail where she was booked.

Man tries to show school spirit with UA merchandise

UAPD officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 7 at 11:38 a.m. in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, officers met with an employee of the bookstore who led them to a conference room where the alleged shoplifter was being detained. According to police, the shoplifter claimed that he had entered the store with no money. He then picked up a set of colored pencils and a UA lanyard with a carabiner attached to it. He removed the price tag and carabiner from the lanyard and put the lanyard back down on the shelf before putting the carabiner in his pocket. He then walked to the cashier area where he put the colored pencils down and attempted to walk out of the store, where he was stopped by security and escorted back inside. Bookstore employees confirmed the man’s story. They also provided police with video surveillance of the incident as well as a receipt showing the value of the lanyard and carabiner at $10.60. The man was cited on charges of shoplifting and was released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Suspicious activity reported on Tumamoc Hill

UAPD officers responded to Tumamoc Hill Desert Laboratory at 1675 W. Anklam Rd. on Oct. 7 at 12:33 p.m. in reference to a report of possible narcotics activity in the area. Upon arrival, officers met with a university employee who told police that she frequently walks to work from her home nearby. While walking home on Oct. 6 at approximately 2:45 p.m., she observed a man drinking beer in the area. She also claimed that on an earlier occasion, she had noticed syringes on the ground in the same general vicinity. Officers returned to the area and were able to locate a man who admitted to drinking in the area. On the ground next to the man was a black case that he claimed belonged to him. Police asked the man if they could search the case and he agreed. Inside, officers found a glass pipe that the man admitted to using for smoking both crack and marijuana. The man was cited on charges of possession of narcotic paraphernalia. A records check also revealed that the man had two outstanding warrants issued by TPD for disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing. The man was placed into handcuffs and transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Barely-used bicycle disappears from outside Coronado

UAPD officers made contact with a resident of the Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 7 at 2 p.m. in reference to a stolen bicycle. According to the bicycle’s owner, his father had locked the silver Trek mountain bike to the rack outside of Coronado on Aug. 19. The bicycle was secured using a cable lock, looped around the frame and both wheels, and a U-lock, securing the frame and cable lock to the rack. The owner told police that he had recently had ankle surgery and had been unable to ride the bicycle, but that he had checked on it periodically and had last seen it on Sept. 27. He also told police that his father might have improperly secured the bicycle. The man was issued a Victim’s Rights form and police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.