Musical ‘Violet’ a triumph on a minimalist set

Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat

From left, Monty (Travis Brown), Violet (Rebecca Spigelman) and Flick (Damian Hudson) in Violet.
    Michael Ignatov
    Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat From left, Monty (Travis Brown), Violet (Rebecca Spigelman) and Flick (Damian Hudson) in ‘Violet.’

Arizona Repertory Theatre presents its closing show of the season, “”Violet,”” in Tornabene Theatre, and the performance entertains.

The show follows a girl named Violet on her pilgrimage to Tulsa, Okla., to heal a scar running down her face. Through her travels, she meets Flick and Monty, two soldiers traveling on the Greyhound bus with her.

The theatre did a wonderful job casting the show. Playing the title role, musical theater senior Rebecca Spigelman plays a complex character, easy to love and cheer for during the musical. Spigelman has an incredible singing voice and acting talent to match; she leaves the audience crying. Spigelman is destined for great things, so don’t miss her performance.

Musical theater junior Damian Hudson plays Flick, an African American soldier struggling to find acceptance in the racist South of the 1940s. He offers an array of humor and seriousness throughout the show as he comes to terms with Violet and her desired transformation. Hudson is a strong lead and gives a stunning performance. He has a great voice paired with comedy and brought the audience to a standing ovation.

Travis Brown, a musical theater senior, plays Monty, a traveling soldier who meets Violet. Monty is one of the main comedic players, and Brown keeps the audience laughing throughout. Brown adds another astounding voice to the songs, and his acting skills are wonderful.

The musical is on a minimalist set. The stage and props are basic and simple. Gone is the complexity seen in their previous musical “”Best Little Whorehouse in Texas,”” but this gives the show a contemporary feel. With a couple of steps surrounding a circle platform, the audience is forced to use their imagination to see the surroundings of the characters, making the show a different experience for everyone.

Unlike traditional musicals, the show features an electric guitar, making the sound as contemporary as the set. The band is located above the stage, giving the audience a chance to watch them play. The music is phenomenal, and the band brings the musical to life.

As the last show of the year, Arizona Repertory Theatre does an excellent job bringing the contemporary musical “”Violet”” to the stage.