Frat shooter sentenced to 20 years

A Tucson teenager was sentenced Monday to more than 20 years in prison for shooting at a UA fraternity house in September and wounding an 18-year-old woman.

William Edward Morgan, 17, was sentenced by Judge Gus AragÇün to 10.5 years for drive-by shooting, 7.5 years for aggravated assault and 2.25 years for endangerment, said David Ricker, spokesman for Pima County Superior Court.

Morgan and Robert William Ramos, 18, drove by Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1801 E. First St., Sept. 9 and opened fire.

The shooting occured shortly after they got into a physical fight with FIGI fraternity members at the Taco Bell drive-through, 1818 E. Speedway Blvd., according to UAPD reports.

A female freshman was shot in the abdomen. Her gallbladder was removed at the University Medical Center, but she has since recovered.

The fight began at the drive-through after Morgan and Ramos exchanged words with FIGI members who were walking by in an alley. Upon realizing Morgan and Ramos had a gun, the FIGI members went to their fraternity house, according to police reports.

Ramos, who drove the vehicle, was arrested immediately after the shooting, while Morgan was caught two days later.

Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students, told the Arizona Daily Wildcat last semester that the FIGI members would not be investigated in association with the shooting.

“”It was a random act,”” Kowalski said. “”This was not something that could be prevented.””

Patrick Trimble, Phi Gamma Delta president, said that his fraternity hopes the ruling helps bring closure to the victim, her family and people who witnessed the shooting.

“”The men of Phi Gamma Delta support fully the verdict that was rendered (Monday) against the individual who perpetrated this despicable act against a member of our community,”” he said via e-mail.

Ricker said Morgan entered a plea agreement a month ago, and Ramos entered one Monday, lessening his charge from attempted murder to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Both are being tried as adults.

“”Drive-by shooting is considered to be a dangerous crime,”” Ricker said.

Ramos will be sentenced April 4. He could receive up to 15 years.