Icecats earn road sweep

After a tough season, it appears that the Arizona club hockey team has finally found its groove as it beat Weber State 2-1 Saturday night to complete the two-game sweep.

“”We know the season is winding down,”” said senior goaltender Nick Boddy. “”We (the seniors) want to go out on a winning note. It was a definitely an all-around team effort.””

Boddy had 99 saves over the weekend to lead the Icecats to a sweep against Weber State.

“”The youth movement has worked,”” said head coach Leo Golembiewski. “”You can’t underscore the efforts of Boddy and Nowinski, but a team isn’t just a couple of guys. Everyone has done a great job.””

The Icecats, fresh off a win the night before, wasted no time to get started as forwards Robbie Nowinski and Brady Lefferts each scored goals that gave the Icecats a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. Though these would be the only goals the Icecats would score the entire game, they were enough to get the win and secure the team’s second three-game winning streak of the season.

WSU scored its only goal in the second period to make the game 2-1, but were unable to put the puck in the net to tie the game.

“”Boddy was playing pretty unreal in both games and we got Capobianco back on defense,”” Brandon Robinson said about the team’s defense over the weekend. “”We’re starting to come together as a team even though it’s kind of late in the season. All the lines are clicking and it’s starting to show on the ice.””

On Friday night, Weber State struck first as it took the 1-0 lead with 14:10 left in the first period. The Icecats struggled to get going, but forward Drew Halliday scored with 4:54 left in the first period to get Arizona rolling.

In the second period, Arizona scored the lone goal of the frame from Robinson with 10:07 remaining, with an assist by defenseman Zack Stommen.

In the third period, the Icecats pulled away with two goals from Nowinski which lead to a 5-3 victory after a slow start.

“”We’re a completely different team; we’re a lot more focused now.”” Robinson said. “”I think we’ve found a really good balance now.””