Fast Facts

• Telly Savalas and Louis Armstrong died on their birthdays.
  • Richard Nixon left instructions for “”California, Here I Come”” to be the last piece of music played (slowly and softly) were he to die in office.
  • The dog and the turkey were the only two domesticated animals in ancient Mexico.
  • On a trip to the South Sea Islands, French painter Paul Gauguin stopped off briefly in Central America, where he worked as a laborer on the Panama Canal.
  • Ringo Starr was born during a World War II air raid.
  • An 18th-century German named Matthew Birchinger, known as “”the Little Man of Nuremberg,”” played four musical instruments, including the bagpipes; was an expert calligrapher and was the most famous stage magician of his day. He performed tricks with the cup and balls that have never been explained. Yet Birchinger had no hands, legs or thighs, and he was shorter than 29 inches tall.
  • Prince Harry and Prince William are uncircumcised.
  • Nobody knowns where Voltaire’s body is. It was stolen in the 19th century and has never been recovered. The theft was discovered in 1864, when the tomb was opened and found empty.
  • The polar bear is the only bear that has hair on the soles of its feet. This protects the animal’s feet from the cold and prevents slipping on the ice.
  • In French, essay means “”try, attempt.””
  • Pound cake is so called because the original recipe required 1 pound of butter.
  • More popcorn is sold in Dallas than anywhere else in the United States.
  • Odds that a burglary in the United States will be solved: one in seven.
  • Italian artist Constantino Brumidi fell from the dome of the U.S. Capitol while painting a mural around the rim in 1879. He died four months later.
  • Clouds fly higher during the day than at night.