UA Rave promotes alcohol-free partying

Courtney Talak

UA students break out dance moves while learning about alcohol awareness at the Residence Hall Association’s Rave event on Saturday night on the UA Mall. The event provided alcohol-free beverages for students to enjoy during the event.

The UA Mall Rave on Saturday night was full of laughter, loud music and dancing to give students a night of over-sized games, free food and non-alcoholic drinks in an educational manner.

The alcohol awareness event occurred inside a tent, and everyone could wear glow sticks while listening to a disc jockey and seeing multicolored lights bouncing off the walls.

Renee Skau, senior community director for Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall, said the rave was a good opportunity for students to have something to do on a Saturday night while being educated on the dangers of alcohol at the same time. She said this was the second annual rave Residence Hall Association had put together.

On each table, there was a list of “mocktails” being served at the bar in variety-colored cups. RHA members served students with drinks containing margarita and mojito mixes and passed around virgin JELL-O shots.

Three DJs played music, and smoke appeared all over the dance floor. At one point, a large group of students danced to the “Shuffle.” The snack table was set up on the side, giving students their choice of Red Vines, cheese balls or Sour Patch Kids. Several white sofas were available to sit on and mingle with others. In the back, the roof of the tent was open, and students engaged in games of beer pong (with volleyballs and large red trash bins), cornhole and Jenga. Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were also present.

On the walls, facts from Campus Health Service and other sources were posted to provide context for alcohol as an issue on campus. According to the Campus Health website, “88 percent of UA students usually have 0-4 drinks when they party.”

Another posting about raves in general was on a tent wall: “Sound levels at many raves average around 135 decibels, well above the level that can cause hearing loss.”

Antonio Coronado, a communication freshman, is on the programming board and the executive board for the RHA. Regarding the facts posted on the wall, he said the program board went through and pulled facts from multiple sources because “they thought it would have more of an effect on students.” He said he is not a fan of drinking.

“Tabooing something does more damage than talking about it,” Coronado said. He said the rave “hits home” when it comes to presenting students with essential information about alcohol use.

Lupe Godoy, pre-education freshman, joined the RHA and said the goal of the event was to inform people. She came to the rave to get a free T-shirt, to support her fellow college students and association, and to help clean up. Godoy doesn’t drink alcohol and said she feels “it’s pretty normal not drinking at a party.”

Eric Palomino, a business management freshman, decided to drop in on the rave after stopping by Jack in the Box. He said he would have come to the rave even if it wasn’t free, but would have added more games for more fun.

“Everyone is having fun without alcohol, which is a good thing,” Palomino said. “That’s the whole point.”

Ashlee Fenn, a pre-journalism freshman, said she loved the rave. She said it’s a great opportunity for students to come together.

“Every choice you make has a consequence, and it’s good for you to know about the choices so it doesn’t come as a shock,” Fenn said. 

At the end of the party, short-sleeved shirts in a variety of colors were given to everyone, along with a green cup with an informational paper inside. The paper had information about the free pancake breakfast on May 7 from 10 p.m. to midnight, available with CatCard at Bear Down Kitchen, Park Avenue Dining and Cactus Grill.

_______________

Follow Amber White on Twitter.