“Fort Worth police arrest man after shooting, car chase”

A 28-year-old man faces a slew of charges, including attempted capital murder, after police say he shot an acquaintance Tuesday night, stole the man’s car, then fired at a Fort Worth police officer while trying to avoid arrest.

After leading police on a vehicle pursuit that went into Grand PrairieRuben Rivera finally surrendered after a tire on the stolen car went flat, according to Sgt. Pedro Criado, a police spokesman.

Criado said the incident began shortly after 10 p.m. at Leon’s Paint & Body Shop at 5201 Kaltenbrun Road after Rivera and Carlos Juarez, 25, arrived at the business to have some repairs done on the Juarez’s 1999 Chevrolet.

“”At some point in the parking lot, they began to argue and the suspect retrieved a semi-automatic handgun and shot the victim what appears to be two times, once in the chest and once in the neck,”” Criado said.

Juarez was in serious condition Wednesday at John Peter Smith Hospital.

Criado said Rivera shot at, but missed, at least one other witness at the business before fleeing in the Chevrolet, crashing through the business’s front gate in the process.

After responding officers put out a broadcast about the stolen car, an officer spotted the car traveling northbound on East Loop 820 and followed it, waiting for additional officers to arrive before attempting a traffic stop, Criado said.

Before that could happen, Rivera pulled over on his own on Interstate 30 near Eastchase Parkway, Criado said.

Criado said the officer had just exited his patrol car when the suspect began shooting at him multiple times, prompting the officer to return fire.

Neither the officer, nor the suspect, were hit but both cars were damaged, including the driver’s side windshield of the patrol car, Criado said. He said a tire of a passing motorist was also damaged.

Rivera then fled east on Interstate 30, leading officers on a pursuit through Arlington until a flat tire finally prompted him to stop at 1000 North Beltline Road in Grand Prairie and surrender, Criado said.

Criado said Rivera faces charges of aggravated robbery, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, evading arrest and attempted capital murder.