Soccer drops game to Huskies

The Arizona soccer team finally got back on the field after former head coach Dan Tobias resigned, but the same scoring struggles that have haunted the Wildcats all season continued in a 2-0 loss to Washington on Friday night at Mulcahy stadium.

“”When we fail to get in a rhythm offensively, it makes it difficult to create scoring chances,”” said co-interim head coach John Galas. “”We didn’t get enough shots in this game. This seems to be the way things have gone for us this year. We don’t create a lot of chances right now, but the ones we do get we have to capitalize on them.””

The Wildcats stood toe to toe with the Huskies in the first half, playing solid defense throughout. Both teams failed to create scoring chances in the first half as the Huskies only out-shot the Wildcats 3-2

In the second half, though, the Huskies made a conscious effort to attack the Wildcats (3-10-1, 0-3 Pacific 10 Conference) as forward Jane Mitchell scored the first goal of the game. After goalkeeper Devon Wharf saved Mitchell’s initial shot, the rebound came back to Mitchell about 12 feet out and she connected on her second attempt to give the Huskies the 1-0 lead in the 55th minute.

Wharf saved eight of Washington’s 15 shots despite playing on a visibly gimpy right knee that didn’t seem to limit her from making several saves.

In the 31st minute, Wharf made three miraculous saves in a 10 second span, preventing the Huskies from taking a commanding two-goal lead.

“”One good save will make pain in the knee go away; she’ll be fine for Saturday’s game,”” Galas joked about Wharf playing through her injury. “”She’s a senior that’s given us a lot. She’s a warrior out there.””

Despite Wharf’s stellar play throughout the second half, she was only able to hold off Washington attackers for so long.

In the 82nd minute, midfielder Nikki Murray was able to seal the game and put the Huskies up 2-0 off a rebound from yet another save by Wharf. Neither team would score thereafter.

Galas admitted that head coach Dan Tobias stepping down earlier in the week was probably still in the team’s mind.

“”This week is a lot of emotion. I’m sure it’s in the back of everyones’ mind,”” he said. “”They responded very well this week, (and) we’re appreciative for what Dan has done and we wanted to get this win for him.””

Starting freshman defender Amy Steiner missed her third straight game with the flu, but is expected to return against Washington State on Sunday.

Arizona will have tomorrow to regroup before they take on a Washington State team on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Mulcahy Stadium.