Serial sleepers snooze on campus

Jacob Ufford, a mathematics junior, breaks from a nap to text message a friend yesterday morning. Ufford and other students enjoy the plush couches in the TV Lounge located on the first floor of the Student Union Memorial Center.

It is just after noon, and lunch is in full swing as crowds of people flood the food court in the Student Union Memorial Center. But one floor up, away from the Times Square-like madness, the Diamond Atrium sits silently on the north end of the student union, a haven of respite for tired students.

Three of the five red couches are draped with the still forms of sleeping students and the only sounds to be heard (besides periodic snoring) are the occasional door slams and cleaning carts being pushed back and forth.

Of the 10 or more students in the atrium, only one is awake, but just barely.

“”I usually study here because I have an hour break before Japanese class, but that class is over now,”” said Samantha Little, an Asian studies sophomore who was curled up on a couch near a north-facing window.

Little said the Diamond Atrium is a favorite nap hangout because it is quiet and the couches are comfortable.

“”Last year I lived in the dorms, and I would go back and take a nap, but now I don’t (live on campus) anymore, so I come here,”” Little said.

Jen Rettig, an elementary education senior, said pillows would be a nice addition to the lounges, but only if they were cleaned regularly and didn’t appear dirty, like some of the couches do.

“”I throw a sweater down when I sleep. Sometimes the couches smell like feet,”” Rettig said.

Indeed, most nappers had no qualms about putting their feet on the couches or chairs, and backpacks seemed to be the pillow of choice.

“”I’m usually too tired to think about germs,”” said Little, who was dressed for a nap, wearing plaid green pajama pants.

David Parker, associate director of the Arizona Student Unions, said the furniture in the student union is cleaned a minimum of three times per year, including a once-a-year summer deep cleaning and a re-application of Scotchgard.

“”We see the most stains on the red chairs in Redington Restaurant for some reason, and also in the (Diamond) Atrium, because students like to sleep there a lot,”” said Parker.

Parker said from his observations, the most popular places to sleep in the student union are the Diamond Atrium and the Alumni Lounge.

Daniel Graham, a molecular and cellular biology freshman, said he thinks the TV Lounge on the first floor of the student union is the best spot to nap.

“”The study lounges are more official. …This place is cool and quiet,”” Graham said.

Most nappers like to listen to some type of music, said Graham, who likes to fall asleep to The Eagles.

As far as plans for adding pillows, Parker said although they would probably be used, it’s currently not an option because of the cleaning issues involved.

“”But over at the PSU, in the cyber lounge there are those large beanbags, the LoveSacs,”” he said. “”Students love those.””