“UA student, alumnus aid driver in nearby crash”

Police investigate the scene of an accident on the corner of East Speedway Boulevard and North Euclid Avenue early Saturday morning. The car completely destroyed the Sun Tran bus stop and nearly hit a UA student in another car.

A driver ran over a Sun Tran bus stop and crashed into a vacant credit union near campus Friday night, according to the Tucson Police Department.

The male driver, who was not identified, was transported to a nearby hospital with serious injuries that were not life threatening, said Dallas Wilson, a TPD public information officer.

Krissy Blackmore, a pre-nursing junior, said she was traveling north on North Euclid Avenue in the right lane when she saw another driver heading toward her at about 100 mph – in the wrong direction.

“”I didn’t even have time to react, he was going so fast,”” Blackmore said. “”I don’t think there was any way I would have survived if he hit me head-on because he was going so fast.””

Blackmore said when the driver swerved to avoid her, he crashed into the bus stop at East Speedway Boulevard and North Euclid Avenue.

Andrew Walanski, a UA alumnus who lives near the corner where the accident occurred, said he heard the crash from his house and ran to see what happened.

The driver was trapped inside his vehicle, which was filling up with smoke, and his foot was pinned to the accelerator, Walanski said.

Walanski said he and his friends helped smash the vehicle’s window, turned the car off, cut the driver’s seatbelt and pulled him out.

The driver’s nose was bleeding, but he had a pulse, Walanski said.

Blackmore said the driver was unconscious but breathing when pulled from the car. When paramedics arrived, he was mumbling, Blackmore said.

Blackmore, who worked in an emergency room and is trained in CPR and first aid, said she made sure the group of people who had formed around the accident did not disturb the driver.

Wilson said he did not have any other details about the accident.

Although the bus stop was destroyed in the crash, Sun Tran will continue to pick up customers from the location, according to a representative from Sun Tran.

Sun Tran will be rebuilding the bus stop, which is a popular pickup location, said the Sun Tran representative, who could not provide his name due to Sun Tran policy.