The new student’s guide to on-campus laundry

Photo Illustration by Kyle Wasson/Arizona Summer Wildcat

Now that you’re in college, cutting down on unnecessary expenses can go a long way. When you live on campus, you have free laundry facilities that are easy to use and often brand new. This may not seem like a big deal, but for those of us who have gone through life sheltered and clueless as to the intricacies and rituals of laundering clothes, it is a godsend. Despite the simple and moneyless way laundry on campus works, there are things you should know to streamline the process.

Avoid Rush Hour
    If you try to do your laundry at the same time as everyone else, you’ll be stuck waiting. Peak hours are late afternoons through the evening during the week, and all day on the weekends. If you can, get your load in during the day when most people are in class, or if you’re pulling an all-nighter, anytime past midnight.

Remember Your Clothes
    There are several reasons not to leave your clothes in the machine. Your clothes will get mildewy from leaving them in the washer, wrinkly if you leave them in the dryer and, if you forget them long enough, they’ll be confiscated like unattended luggage at the airport. From a communal point of view, it’s intensely frustrating when all the machines are full of clean clothes, ready for pickup, with none of their owners in sight. Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to retrieve your clothes. If you just figure you’ll remember when it’s time, you’ll forget and be the person who leaves their laundry in the machine for two days. Don’t be that person.

Know the Process
    The campus washing machines take high-efficiency detergent, so make sure you use that kind. For regular laundry loads you shouldn’t need more than a quarter of a cap-full of liquid. Once you have the right soap, it’s pretty easy to figure out how to use the machines, even if you’ve never done this before. There are self-explanatory buttons on the machines themselves and helpful diagrams posted around the laundry room, including awesome stain removal tips. In the event that you do find yourself hopelessly befuddled by the prospect of washing clothes, ask someone for help.