Ex-student accuses HISD officer of sexual assault

A former student at a Houston Independent School District charter campus said an HISD police officer sexually assaulted her in 2007 after he had befriended her because of her poetry, authorities said.

Calvin Williams, 52, had been assigned to Eastwood Academy, 1315 Dumble, until February when Houston police told HISD officials about the investigation against him.

“”He was immediately placed on paid leave pending the outcome,”” of the investigation, said Jason Spencer, an HISD spokesman.

“”We take these kind of allegations seriously. The safety of our students is our No. 1 priority,”” Spencer said.

Considered ‘good friend’

The former student first became acquainted with Williams in 2006 when she was 15. She told investigators that Williams would talk to her before the first bell rang and between classes throughout the day, according to the criminal complaint filed against him.

“”She liked to write poetry when she was in school and would share what she wrote with (Williams).”” The girl told police she considered Williams “”a good friend,”” according to the court documents.

She told police Williams also expressed interest in dating her mother, even sending her letters on Eastwood Academy stationary.

According to court documents, Williams and the girl first engaged in sexual acts on Jan. 15, 2007 while they were in his pickup truck at a car wash.

About two weeks later, the girl told her mother she was going to a see a movie with her friends. However, police said she was with Williams at a theater in the 2900 block of Dunvale for another sexual act.

Concern for others

“”She knew the sexual acts were not right at the time, but did not want to get (Williams) in trouble since he had a daughter her age,”” the court document states.

The girl came forward last year, telling police she didn’t want it to happen to any other female students.

Police questioned Williams about the allegations. He knew her as a girl who wrote poetry that he would read and comment on.

Williams also admitted taking her home in his personal car but said it was at the express order of the school principal. The former principal told the HPD investigators he never said to take the girl home, according to the court documents.

On Monday, Williams was charged with two counts of sexual assault of a child. He then resigned from the HISD Police Department where he had worked since 2001.

Williams is being held at the Harris County Jail with bail set at $30,000 for each charge.