Sing your heart out: Karaoke night venues

Karaoke night at the Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites. The hotel hosts karaoke every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Happy hour at your favorite restaurant can be a classic way to loosen up after a long work day. Whether it be with your co-workers, colleagues or close friends, the discounted beverages and appetizers are always something to look forward to and a great way to mingle.

Since nightlife is an important profit opportunity for many Tucson restaurants, bars and hotels, these businesses have recently spruced up their weekly event calendar by adding eye-catching specials. These events include reverse happy hour, $2 drink specials for two hours, Latin night and karaoke night.

RELATED: Best bars to visit on St. Patrick’s Day

Although karaoke night has been a common event at bars or restaurants for decades, it still has a timeless attribute that allows it to be a fun attraction across generations.

Like many college towns, Tucson and the UA community look forward to karaoke events frequently. Singing songs with friends — or strangers — gives a sense of togetherness that allows people to show off their skills, or lack thereof.

Whether you are a karaoke fiend or just looking for something new to do one evening, local Tucson businesses have a variety of options for karaoke on any given day of the week.

A student hotspot and Tucson favorite, Illegal Pete’s, hosts a karaoke event every Monday night on the top floor of their restaurant/bar. 

The underground Tough Luck Club, hosts a karaoke night for eager singers every Tuesday. 

If a person is trying to turn their hump-day into a party, the Surly Wench Pub created a karaoke night every Wednesday. 

On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the Best Western’s Royals Sun Lounge hosts one of the most highly-ranked karaoke events in the city.

“Originally, karaoke night was a marketing tactic,” said Alfred Maldonado, the Best Western assistant general manager.

Best Western’s karaoke night tradition began around a decade ago and it started as just a weekly attraction, but now karaoke night is held three days a week and is ranked within the top three best venues.

Greeted by a cheering audience, and a little help from the drink specials, the singer, or singers, will feel encouraged regardless if they are a beginner or advanced singer.

RELATED: Weekly Wildcat Playlist: Summer jams

Maldonado said their karaoke events are hosted by the Ynot company. Ynot is an entertainment company that uses expert hosts to run some of the best events around Tucson. If the guests are lucky, the hosts may take the mic and surprise the audience with a solid performance.

“They make the event fun. There are always an assortment of Jell-O and Tube Shots being served and sold during the event,” said Maldonado.

He said that Best Western hosts karaoke events for groups that range from the UA greek life community to bachelor and bachelorette parties, and their regular attendees are often UA graduates, undergraduates, Tucson natives or vacationers staying at the hotel.

Even if you experience first or second hand embarrassment, karaoke night can be a chance to make lasting memories with the people around you. 

Follow Lauren Grifol on Twitter.