CatMix: Eight songs to get you psyched for spring break

Brazilian Girls
    Brazilian Girls

‘Ocean Avenue’

Yellowcard

Whether you’re relaxing by the pool or literally walking down the beach, this song can set the perfect spring break mood. It’s carefree and classic, and sure to remind us of those good ol’ days in junior high. Admit it: you know you remember the words. And your friends are sure to appreciate the nostalgic touch.

— Miranda Butler

‘I Was Born (A Unicorn)’

The Unicorns

I mean, who doesn’t love mystical creatures? That’s what spring break is all about, right? The Unicorns create a free, playful and overall happy sound that embraces the spirit of spring break.

— Kellie Mejdrich

‘Pussy’

Brazilian Girls

This song is so fun, swingy and full of bright horn parts, you’ll hardly notice the hilariously obscene chorus. Sung by what sounds like a full choir dancing in the sunshine, it simply goes, “”Pussy pussy pussy marijuana / Pussy pussy pussy.”” And let’s be honest — what is anyone looking for over spring break if not those two things? Beyond that, it’s a delightfully listenable song, perfect for turning up loud and belting with friends.

— Heather Price-Wright

‘On the Road Again’

Various Artists

No song in American folk music better embodies the allure of the highway. Listen to Willie Nelson for a classic, Bob Dylan for some badass-ness, or Katie Melua for some schnaz.

— Kim Kotel

‘Ice Ice Baby’

Vanilla Ice

If you get too hot from lying out by the pool for hours at a time, you can always count on Vanilla Ice to cool you down. Not only does he play “”a dope melody,”” but you can’t go wrong singing along to lyrics like “”I’m cooking emcees like a pound of bacon.”” Pop in your earbuds or crank up your car stereo and see if you can rap the whole song. Word to your mother.

— Dallas Williamson

‘Roller Coaster’

Blink 182

Most of us could probably agree that spring break is every college student’s “”favorite ride.”” While you’re “”breathing deeply”” and “”walking backward”” in Havasu, Mexico or somewhere more exotic, remember how different you are compared to when you thought Blink 182 was a cool band.

— Remy Albillar

‘Keep the Car Running’

Arcade Fire

Thanks to this year’s Grammy show, the U.S. public now knows who the Arcade Fire is, so it’s a good time to explore the band’s catalog. Singer Win Butler conveys a sense of restlessness and unease with city life, and, combined with its driving beat, this song makes you feel as if you need to leave. Right. Now.

— Steven Kwan

‘Tea for Two’

Blossom Dearie

Blossom Dearie’s version of this song, which comes from the 1925 musical, “”No, No, Nanette,”” sounds warm, relaxed and intimate, as if nothing else in the world matters except you and her. The song feels like home — perfect regardless of where you are.

— Steven Kwan