Creative ways to customize your less-exciting undies

Colin Darland/Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Colin Darland
    Colin Darland/Arizona Daily Wildcat

The ZonaZoo undie run is today, and you’ve got some last-minute planning to do.

The plain Hanes look is and always will be classic, but if you don’t want white cotton to monopolize your under-wardrobe, you have options:

Sell your soul to Victoria’s Secret, hit up Ross or WalMart for a cookie-cutter polyester creation, or do-it-yourself.

That’s right — with only the dinkiest of sewing kits and some scraps of lace, lengths of ribbon, and spare button-like embellishments, you can spice up any boring undergarments that plague your dresser drawers. And — this is important — it doesn’t have to cost you much of anything.  

Though a trip to a crafting Mecca like Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts or Michaels can do wonders for your enthusiasm, all you really need is some lacy pieces you’re willing to creatively recycle.

Things you can do to sexify your basics:

1. Pull lace along the bottom half of one or both bra cups, sewing it down around the underwire portion.

2. Adorn your bottoms simply with a rhinestone-dotted bow, perhaps made from the same ribbon that lined your bra strap(s), at the center of the back of the waistband.

3. Sew buttons, gems, or ribbon flowers to bra straps or between the cups.

4. Thread ribbon along the length of one or both bra straps, tacking it down with matching or clashing thread at random intervals along the way.