ABOR BRIEFS

Regents settle eminent domain lawsuit

The Arizona Board of Regents voted yesterday to settle an eminent domain lawsuit that was filed March 7, 2005.

The regents voted at their April 11, 2001 meeting to initiate eminent domain proceedings to acquire a 39,204-square-foot parcel of privately-owned property within the UA Science and Technology Park, according to regents’ reports.

After depositing $96,000 with the Pima County Superior Court, the value of the property established by the university’s appraiser, the university obtained possession of the property by stipulation. The landowner’s appraiser valued the property at $175,000.

The UA will pay the owner of the property $123,000.

Regents approve residence hall rate increase

UA undergraduate residence hall rates for 2007-2008 increased more than rates at Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University when the regents approved new figures yesterday.

Undergraduate rates at the UA increased 7 percent, while rates at ASU increased 5 percent and NAU 4 percent.

There are tremendous needs to renovate and build new halls, which is why the UA rates increased more than the other universities, said Jim Van Arsdel, Residence Life director.

Van Arsdel said that the hall have rates have increased steadily during the last few years, and will continue to do so, makes the halls affordable overall.

Faculty reviewed for tenure at state universities

In the annual report on faculty tenure and post-tenure review process, 2,648 faculty members were reviewed in the 2005-2006 academic year for the three state universities.

The review found 13 faculty were rated as “”overall unsatisfactory.”” Sixteen were rated “”unsatisfactory”” in teaching, 52 in scholarship and 14 in service.

Faculty rated “”unsatisfactory”” in one or more areas, but not “”overall unsatisfactory,”” are expected to submit a Faculty Development Plan. Those who are rated unsatisfactory overall are expected to submit a Performance Improvement Plan, according to regents’ reports.

More than 80 percent of faculty received a rating of “”better than satisfactory.””

– compiled by Alex Grubb