The Mix

In one day, the culmination of sharing and giving thanks arrives. But, let’s be honest, Thanksgiving is more about the food than any of the other pleasantries. In the holiday’s honor, the arts staff at the Arizona Daily Wildcat compiled a mix of songs that, in one way or another, deals with food.

“”Apples and Bananas”” from Raffi in Concert with the Rise and Shine Band by Raffi
    I like to oat, oat, oat ohples and bononos. If you don’t remember this song, you have to know Raffi from “”Baby Beluga.”” -Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”The Lemon Song”” from Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin
    The song is about a guy getting the life squeezed out of him by a woman (asst. editor note: I thought the lemon was a metaphor for Robert Plant’s penis, i.e. “”squeeze my lemon ’til the juice runs down my leg””). -Adam Daley

“”Pumpkin Seeds”” from Oh Me Oh My… by Devendra Banhart
    While the song does mention pumpkin seeds being turned into soup, this laid back, acoustic song is a perfect wrap up after a good meal – Thanksgiving perhaps? -Ali Freedman

“”Banana Pancakes”” from In Between Dreams by Jack Johnson
    Whether you’re waking up to Thanksgiving leftovers or a new lover, Jack Johnson will set you in the perfect mellow mood. Bananas on/in your pancakes optional. -Courtney C. Johnson

“”Ice cream”” from Mirrorball by Sarah McLachlan
    Anything that includes ice cream and chocolate in the same context is amazing. -Kim Kotel

“”Vega-Tables”” from Smile by Brian Wilson
    The neglected food group gets its due via the great Beach Boy, Brian Wilson. Tons of harmonizing and winsome melodies elevate the pushed aside vegetables to wondrous, nutritious food. -Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”Eat It”” from Weird Al Yankovic in 3-D by Weird Al Yankovic
    The man has made a living off of parodies. Although his moonwalking skills may be a little, well, unskilled, this song had to make even Michael Jackson grin. -Adam Daley

“”The King of Carrot Flowers, Pts. 2 & 3″” from In the Aeroplane Over the Sea Neutral Milk Hotel
    Something about the live version of this song makes me think of cold winter nights that revolve around good food, good drink and good people. Vintage Jeff Magnum is a perfect addition to you dinner party soundtrack. -Ali Freedman

“”Bruleé”” from LP3 by Ratatat.
    Although nothing is said in this song about crÇùme brulee (or anything at all), the warm electronic tones of this song are enough to crack the sugary crust of any boring moment. -Courtney C. Johnson

“”(Nothing But) Flowers”” from Naked by Talking Heads
    David Byrne signs and dreams about cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies. -Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty