‘Quad Squads’ hunts for business students

Can a reality show jump-start the career of a college business student? Not just any reality show, but one presented by mtvU, sister station to MTV? These questions have one UA student feeling apprehensive.

mtvU, the music television channel catered specifically to college students, and Ford Motor Company are searching for applicants to appear on the upcoming season of “”Quad Squads,”” a reality show where college students duke it out against one another while practicing their marketing and business skills. Students will compete for a chance to win $5,000 and an internship with Ford.

Finance senior Kate McGoldrick said the show could be highly beneficial for a business student, yet is hesitant to fill out an application.

“”While it would be good to be exposed to a variety of different resources, it might also be a double-edged sword because it is a reality show,”” she said. “”There aren’t too many respectable reality stars from MTV.””

The “”Apprentice””-like atmosphere of the show allows for competitors to go head to head in competitions that test their skills in marketing. Past seasons of the show featured students developing college based marketing programs for Microsoft Network. Other challenges included creating a “”Snickers Satisfies”” marketing campaign.

McGoldrick said she realizes these challenges are designed to enhance what students already know and that it just might open doors for a successful future. However, the thought of being on television interacting with other competitors still leaves her unsure.

“”If you win, you do win because you are smart; but it may discredit you for future business endeavors,”” McGoldrick said. “”It might be hard for people to take you seriously because you won an MTV reality show.””

Reality shows are not for everyone. For those who are willing to “”start getting real”” for their business career, then “”Quad Squads”” is a great place to start, McGoldrick said.

The deadline to apply is July 31. Apply online at www.mtvu.com/contests/quad_squads/