Police Beat

Whoops, wrong license…

A woman was cited and released on two alcohol related charges Feb. 14 at 12:40 a.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a drunk woman. The resident assistant said that she had helped a woman get to her room after the woman had fallen on the floor several times. The woman appeared drunk.

Police went to the woman’s room to speak with her. After calling her name several times, the woman woke up. The woman told officers that she had a few drinks, but that she was okay. When asked how much she had to drink, the woman said she had “”a little to drink.”” The woman had a strong odor of intoxicants on her breath and red, bloodshot, watery eyes. The woman refused medical assistance.

Police asked the woman for her license. She handed them one with another person’s name on it. She then told the officer that she had given him the wrong ID. The officer asked her who the woman on the ID was, and the woman said that it was her older sister. The woman then pulled out her driver’s license and gave it to the officer.

The officer asked her if she used her sister’s ID to buy alcohol, but the woman said no, she only used it to get into night clubs.

While searching the room, the officer found a 12-ounce bottle of grape Smirnoff, half full, sitting on her desk. When asked if it was hers, the woman said that she didn’t know.

She was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol and for using another person’s driver’s license. The bottle was confiscated, its contents dumped down the sink and the bottle thrown in the trash can. The driver’s license was also confiscated and put into evidence.

Disappearing act?

Police were dispatched to the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity in reference to a woman who was injured Feb. 14 at 12:11 a.m.

Police went to the fraternity house after a man flagged officers down north of the Henry Koffler Building. The man said that he had just come from the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity where there was a party going on. He also told officers that there was a woman there who was passed out and bleeding heavily from the vagina. The man said that he tried to take her to UMC, but other people at the party prevented him from that, so he left the party as they put the woman on the back porch, unconscious.

Police went to the fraternity house and searched the perimeter. They did not find any woman passed out or bleeding. As police approached the north side door, a group of about 15 people ran inside. Two men stayed and police made contact with one of the men. He said that he was unaware of any men being kicked out of the party or an injured female. He offered to let the officers inside.

Inside the fraternity house, police reported that there were approximately 300 people consuming alcohol. Police met with the fraternity president, who said that he knew it was an unsanctioned party, and continued to help police look for the woman and remove the guests from the house.

Police searched the fraternity room by room on both the first and second floors, and no injured female or signs of an injured female were found.

Police noted that the fraternity members were very helpful with the search of the woman and were compliant with requests to remove all non-residents. All guests left without incident.

Police also called UMC to see if a woman had been admitted matching the injury reported. There was not.

A Code of Conduct was filled out and sent to the Dean of Students for the unsanctioned party.

“”Lots of beer”” leads to man’s incapacitation

A man was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 15 at 4:20 a.m.

Police responded to the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall in reference to a man who was very intoxicated and requesting medical assistance.

When they arrived, they made contact with the man, who was lying on the floor of the fourth floor. Tucson Fire Department responded to check on the man. There was a strong odor of intoxicants coming from him, which got stronger after he vomited.

The man told officers that he drank “”lots of beer”” earlier in the evening. He declined any further medical treatment.

Man charged with trespassing, writing bad checks

A man was arrested on charges of trespassing and an outstanding warrant Feb. 15 at 12:59 a.m.

Police responded to the UA Main Library in reference to a man trespassing in the Information Commons. When an employee attempted to make contact with the man, he ran towards the restrooms.

When police arrived on scene, they made contact with the man. After running a check of his name they found that he had an outstanding warrant from Maricopa County for bad check writing. The man had also been warned against trespassing on UA property after he was found sleeping under the west side of Arizona Stadium on Vine Street in December.

The warrant was confirmed and the man was arrested. He was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for second degree criminal trespassing and his previously outstanding warrant. He was also given an exclusionary order from the UA prohibiting him from being on any UA owned, rented or controlled property.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.