Police Beat

Drugs, Smith & Wesson found in car
    An officer arrested three people on Nov. 1 at 9:38 p.m., after finding more than six pounds of marijuana in a car.

While on patrol, a University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed a car that did not have a visible license plate. The officer pulled the car over to do a routine traffic stop, approached the vehicle and spoke to the driver.

The officer noticed the smell of marijuana coming from inside the car. The driver did not have a license, but showed the officer insurance and registration for the car. On running the information, the officer found that the man had a suspended license for financial responsibility.

The officer asked the man to step out of the vehicle and said that it was going to be impounded.

The officer asked the rest of the occupants – two other men, one underage male and two underage females – to step out of the vehicle. As each of the people exited, the officer reported that the smell became stronger. The officer asked each occupant if there was marijuana in the car. All said no.

The officer then conducted a search of the vehicle and found loose marijuana scattered on the rear right passenger floorboard, as well as three burned marijuana roaches that were warm to the touch, two small bags of marijuana under the front passenger seat, a silver grinder, a digital scale, a box of cigars, a box of plastic sandwich baggies, a plastic baggie containing a tar-like substance, a gym bag in the trunk containing a 13-gallon garbage bag with 6.5 pounds of marijuana, and a Smith & Wesson .375 Magnum with five rounds under the passenger seat.

The officer spoke with the driver and asked if any of the items were his. The driver said he did not know there was a weapon or marijuana in the vehicle and that he had only been driving it for his friend.

The officer then spoke with the underage male in the car. The man said he had emptied a bag of marijuana onto the floor of the car in an attempt to hide it. He denied knowing about the other marijuana or the weapon. The officer also found an additional baggie of marijuana in the man’s back pocket.

A records check revealed that the underage male had a juvenile warrant for failure to appear in court. He was taken to the Pima County Juvenile Court Center.

The officer then spoke with one of the other men in the vehicle. He originally gave them his brother’s name instead of his own and denied knowing about the marijuana and weapon. He also denied knowing whom the items belonged to. He was charged with false reporting to a law enforcement agency.

The last person the officer spoke to was the man who owned the vehicle. He said he understood his rights, but that he wasn’t “”talking to no one without a lawyer.”” Police did not question him any further.

It was determined that the two juvenile females were not involved in any criminal activity. They were released.

Three people were arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana for sale and possession and use of a weapon in a drug offense. Two were taken to Pima County Jail and the other to Pima County Juvenile Court Center. The car was impounded, and the items that were found were confiscated.

Truck abandoned on SUMC median
    A vehicle was towed Nov. 1 at 5:10 a.m. after it was found on a median with no driver.

Police responded to a call from the Student Union Memorial Center. A person with UA custodial services observed a yellow pickup truck parked atop the circular median in the center of the traffic circle. There were a large number of empty beer cans inside the passenger compartment and bed of the truck. The employee told officers that this occurred sometime between 5 a.m. and 5:10 a.m.

The employee said that although the truck was abandoned now, he had observed an unknown Hispanic male with a dog walking away from the traffic circle earlier. He did not know if the man was involved in the accident.

The officer observed two skid marks from the intersection of Mountain Avenue and Second Street to the traffic circle. The median sustained minor damage, while the truck sustained damage on the left wheel, undercarriage, front left fender and driver’s door.

Because there was no owner, the truck was towed.

Man fails requested Breathalyzer test
    A man was cited for minor in possession of alcohol on Nov. 1 at 2:30 a.m.

An officer observed a man walking southbound on Cherry Avenue. He was with two other men who were supporting him as he walked. The man struggled to maintain his balance.

When the officer made contact with the man, he noticed that he smelled heavily of intoxicants. The man had slurred speech, swayed and talked very loudly while attempting to get closer to the officer. He also had red, watery eyes.

The man requested that the officer give him a Breathalyzer test. The officer did, and it indicated that the man had a blood alcohol level of 0.208.

The man told the officer that he was returning from a party at “”some fraternity house,”” whose location and name he could not remember. He said he had six or seven cups of beer.

The man was cited and released to the care of his friend, who was sober. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.