Police Beat

A group of 10 UA and Pima Community College students claiming to belong to a group named “”Anonymous”” were found sketching, drawing and posting signs of protest against Scientology with multicolored chalk inside the North Fremont Avenue underpass at 5 a.m. March 13.

A records check on the individuals showed no warrants.

The students had drawn approximately 15 drawings of Web site addresses, a silhouette of a man in a business suit without a head, which is the logo of the group, and a slogan against the Scientology religion, none of which appeared threatening.

The students appeared very knowledgeable and passionate about educating the public about Scientology and why they were against the religion. The students were advised they could be subject to arrest for criminal damage if the chalk could not be removed, but the students were able to erase the chalk drawings easily with water and no permanent damage found.

The students left the area and the Dean of Students Office was notified.

A man was arrested for unlawful possession of marijuana near Tucson Avenue and Speedway boulevards at about 11 p.m. March 13.

At approximately 10:46 p.m. a registration check was run on a Cadillac Seville, which came back showing a suspension of registration.

The officer stopped the vehicle at North Tucson Boulevard, north of East Speedway Boulevard.

As the officer was talking to the driver, he could smell a strong odor of cologne. The man said he had just put the cologne on his hands. The officer suspected that the cologne had been used to mask the odor of burning marijuana, which he could smell faintly.

When the officer asked the man if he had any marijuana in his vehicle he said yes and reached into his ashtray, removed a rolled cigarette and handed it to the officer.

The end of the cigarette was burnt. The officer opened the cigarette and found a green leafy substance that the officer recognized as marijuana.

The man was cited and released and the vehicle searched.

The officer found no additional contraband and the man was also cited for displaying a suspended plate and no insurance.

Three students were arrested on drug and alcohol charges at 522 N. Tyndall Ave. at 4:55 a.m. March 13.

An officer was patrolling the UA parking lot south of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall in a marked police SUV when he noticed a black BMW with its lights on.

He pulled up behind the vehicle and the vehicle’s engine started.

Immediately, a male seated in the driver’s seat opened the door, stepped partially out while coughing and stepped back in.

The officer could see smoke coming from the vehicle, at which time he activated his emergency lights and approached the driver’s window.

There were three people in the vehicle. A man was in the driver’s seat, a woman in the front passenger seat and a man in the back seat. When the officer got to the driver’s open window, marijuana smoke was billowing out from the car.

When the officer asked the students where the marijuana was located, one of the men told the other man to give the pipe to the officer.

The man gave the officer a glass smoking pipe with burnt marijuana residue on it, and from which everyone admitted having taken hits. The officer could also smell the odor alcohol on all their breaths.

The two men admitted to having consumed at least six beers. The woman said she had a couple.

The driver said he had beer in his trunk. Upon searching the car, the officer found a small amount of marijuana between the driver’s seat and the center console, along with a fake identification card.

There were also seven bottles of Dos Equis and 24 cans of Keystone beers in the trunk.

The driver said they got the beers from a house party.

The three admitted to smoking marijuana in the parking lot rather than their dorm room.

They were cited and released for possession and for being minors with spirituous liquor in the body.