Trendy vs. trashy

Fashion isn’t so much about what you wear but how you wear it. When it comes to clothing, there are certain looks that make a person think, “”What a great outfit,”” and others that make them wonder, “”What the hell are they wearing?””

On a college campus, it is easy to find all kinds of fashion trends that elicit a range of reactions.

This week, Fashion Facts explored trendy and trashy ways of wearing current fashion trends at ZÇôe Botique, 735 N. Fourth Ave., with Liana Liu, a biology senior.

photos by Jacob Rader

Trendy: Baby-doll dresses

“”Mod and baby-doll dresses are definitely very trendy right now,”” said Lissa Marinaro, owner of ZÇôe.

These cute, fun dresses are great for everyday wear when paired with a pair of flats and perfect for a night on the town when accompanied by a pair of fun heels. They are great for all seasons, because the dresses come in sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve styles. You can also change it up a bit with a pair of leggings or tights when the weather gets chilly.

Dresses start at $42.

Trendy: Local designers

Nothing is more fun than wearing fashions, like those from Elizabeth Albert, designed in Tucson. ZÇôe offers a vast array of local designer trends, including clothing and accessories, offering one-of-a-kind pieces for shoppers.

Unlike past trends, where everyone ran out to buy the same clothes from chain stores like Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister, shoppers are now trying to stand out in the crowd.

“”Lately, it seems like everyone wants something different,”” Marinaro said.

Trendy: Clutches

Clutches in fun colors and styles are very popular, especially if they are vintage, Marinaro said.

Clutches are perfect for going out because they aren’t big and bulky like many of the purses currently in style. They come in all different fabrics and leathers, making them cool and original.

ZÇôe offers new and vintage clutches for $25 in colors such as black, red, white and purple.

Trashy: Wearing tunic shirts as dresses

Rule of thumb: If you have to question whether an item is a shirt or a dress, you probably shouldn’t be wearing it as a dress.

These tunics can be extremely fun and stylish when paired with shorts, leggings or skinny jeans, but wearing them solo is a big no-no.

Granted, you may have the legs to pull it off, but with the windy days lately, you can never be too safe.