Police Beat

Marijuana, alcohol found in residence hall

Police responded to a notice of the smell of burnt marijuana in Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall Thursday morning. A resident assistant escorted police down a hall where, reports noted, it smelled like marijuana. When police knocked on the door they suspected the smell was coming from, a male student allowed them to enter.

Upon entering the room, police noted that the smell was even stronger and that there was an open bottle of Steel Reserve malt liquor, several empty liquor bottles on one of the desks and a black pipe on the bed.

The two residents of the room identified themselves, as did the two other men in the room. Police separated the men for questioning. One of the residents said that he knew people were smoking and drinking in his room, but he did not partake in any of the activities. When the other roommate entered the room, he told officers, “”Wow, it really does smell like weed in here.””

The man had the smell of intoxicants on his breath, had bloodshot eyes and was very emotional when speaking with police. He admitted that people had been smoking in his room but he had not smoked with them. He also admitted to drinking prior to police arrival.

The two other men were brought back in for questioning. One said he had not smoked or drunk that evening. The other stated that he had been the only one smoking marijuana and said that the pipe police had located on the bed was his. Two men were charged, one for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and the other for possession of alcohol. The two men who live in the room were escorted by RAs to throw away 14 alcohol bottles. Police took the marijuana, which weighed 3.8 grams, and pipe and placed them into evidence. Three of the students were referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Two girls cited as minors in posession

Two girls were cited for possession on Friday morning after a custodial staff member called police. The university employee said that the two girls were walking around the Student Union Memorial Center with a case of Keystone and a bottle of Boone’s Farm wine. When police arrived, both females denied having any alcohol on them, but admitted to drinking earlier that evening. Both were given breathalyzer tests, which showed that they were over the blood alcohol limit. They were cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol.

Couple cited for minors in possession
    Two people were cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol around 3 a.m. on Friday mornin. Police stopped a couple after seeing them stumbling down the street. When they made contact with the two, they found them to be disoriented. The man could not remember his address or date of birth, and the woman could not remember how to get home. They both had bloodshot, watery eyes and smelled of intoxicants. A cab took the two home for free after they were cited.

Man cited for fake ID, alcohol possession

A student was cited after police found a fictitious ID. Police responded to an intoxicated male on the east side of Old Main early Saturday morning. When the officers were getting his information, they found two sets of information on the man. One was a valid Arizona driver’s license, the other a fake California ID which showed him old enough to buy alcohol. The man smelled strongly of intoxicants and could not stand up while police were trying to talk to him. He submitted to a breathalyzer, which showed him over the legal limit. He was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol and fictitious driver’s license. He was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Woman ejected from game for using other’s ID

A woman was ejected from the UA football game Saturday after attempting to use someone else’s CatCard. Police observed a female drop her CatCard under the fence by Gate Two in the Zona Zoo area. The female then took the card to the line to get swiped in order to gain entry to the game. When asked if it was her CatCard, she got the information wrong, providing the wrong middle name.

When told that she was being ejected from the game, she provided real identification, saying that the card was from a friend of hers, and she had tried to use her name so she did not get in trouble. The female was told that if she returned to the game, she would be subject to arrest for trespassing. The CatCard was placed into UA property for safe keeping.

Officers find flask on woman entering game

A woman was cited and released for being a minor with alcohol in her body Saturday afternoon while trying to get into the UA football game.

Police were asked to assist with the female after a flask was found in her purse. The flask smelled strongly of intoxicants. The female said that an unknown person must have slipped it into her purse. She admitted to drinking, saying, “”I’ve been drinking three shots of vodka.”” Her speech was slurred, she smelled of intoxicants, and she had bloodshot eyes. The student was escorted from the stadium where she was cited and released on alcohol possession charges.