Police Beat: Nov. 3

Actual vandalism, not chalk

University of Arizona Police Department Officers were near Main Gate Parking Garage on Oct. 25 when they discovered criminal damage on the third level. According to police, unknown person or persons used red paint to write “”JFK”” and “”PRAER”” on a wall on the northwest side of the structure. Facilities Management was notified of the graffiti. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Facebook friend sends angry, sexual messages

UAPD officers interviewed a woman on Oct. 27 at 2:05 p.m. in reference to a report of unwelcome messages on her Facebook account.

According to police, the woman claimed that starting on Oct. 9, she had received a message from a man telling her that she was one of the prettiest girls he had ever seen. The man invited her to start a conversation with him, adding that he thought the two would hit it off. The woman did not respond.

The man sent another message on Oct. 14 and apologized for being “”random.”” The man then complimented the woman again and mentioned being acquainted with several friends from her photographs. The woman responded this time, asking the man what fraternity he was in. The man later told the woman he was a member of the Kappa Alpha fraternity and the university swimming team. He gave the woman his phone number and inviter her to text him.

The woman told police the messages did not bother her at first, but she later received a message that the man had sent her in which he insulted her with various sexual references and explitives. The woman blocked the man’s number and since then, has not received any other messages from him.

She told police that she did receive a Facebook message on Oct. 16 from a new account that she believed the man created. The message was titled “”slut”” and in it, the man accused the woman of promiscuity. The woman then became concerned for her safety and notified police.

A records check revealed that the man was not on the swimming team. Police called the telephone number the woman had given them and a man answered. Officers identified themselves and the man immediately hung up. Police were unable to make any further contact with the man.

‘Everybody hates you’

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall on Oct. 26 at 7:10 p.m. in reference to a welfare check. Upon arrival, officers met with the resident assistant on duty and a resident of the dorm who reported being harassed. According to the woman, for the past 3 months, her neighbor had been harassing her. The harassment began shortly after the woman made a complaint about noise violations coming from her neighbor’s room. The neighbor had been knocking on the woman’s door at all hours of the day and had made comments such as “”everybody hates you,”” “”you’re so stupid,”” and “”I wish you would leave.””

The RA on duty told police that the neighbor had denied harassing the woman. Police warned the neighbor about harassing the woman. The woman being harassed told police that she did not want to press charges.

Smoking the evidence

UAPD officers responded to the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Oct. 27 at 7:31 p.m. in reference to the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. Upon arrival, police met with an RA who stated that while performing an hourly check of the hall, the odor of marijuana was detected.

The RA led police to a room on the seventh floor. According to police, the odor became more intense as they approached the suspected room. Police knocked on the door and made contact with a female resident who invited officers inside. Officers told the woman why they were there and asked if there were any illegal drugs in the room. The woman replied that there were and produced a small purse from a desk drawer. The purse contained a pipe that had burnt marijuana residue in it. The woman claimed not to have any more marijuana in the room and consented to a search.

Police placed the pipe into evidence and referred the incident to the Dean of Students Office.