Fashion show promises poolside fun for a cure

Valentina Martinelli
    Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat Lindsey Erlick, left, a marketing and entrepreneurship senior, and Shannon Timms, a marketing senior, two of the organizers for the Students Supporting Brain Tumor Research Fundraiser Fashion Show, explain the details of the event on University Blvd on Saturday. The event will be held at the Rec Center Pool on March 5, 2011 from 1-3 pm.

When a high school friend passed away from brain cancer, marketing and entrepreneurship senior Lindsey Erlick had no idea brain tumors were the second leading cause of cancer deaths in 20- to 39-year-olds.

Then she met marketing senior Shannon Timms. The two became co-presidents of the UA branch of Students Supporting Brain Tumor Research and have since put on two walkathons for the cause.

But this year, they wanted an event that would appeal to a different crowd.

“”We thought (a fashion show) would be more interesting for college students,”” Timms said. “”It’s a great way to coordinate with the grand opening of the pool and to get students aware.””

The Student Recreation Center pool has its grand opening on March 4. “”Fashion. Music. Pool. For a Cure”” will follow on March 5.

Tickets are $15 for general admission and $20 for one of 100 VIP seats, which includes front-row runway seating as well as gift bags from sponsors.