Consistency key for women’s golf

The No. 8 Arizona women’s golf team showed its potential with a 5-under first round in last weekend’s Rudolph Championship. But after finishing the tournament 13-over, the Wildcats now need to show consistency.

“”It’s really hard to go up and down,”” said UA head coach Shelly Haywood.

That commitment

The Pac-10 is the toughest conference in the country. Our girls know they can compete against any Pac-10 team.
    – Shelly Haywood, head coach

could start today, as the Wildcats begin play at the Margaret Branch NCAA Preview today through Wednesday in Albuquerque, N.M.

The 54-hole tournament will give Arizona another shot at the best competition in the country – 12 out of the 18 teams are ranked in the nation’s top 25, eight in the top 10.

“”We need to minimize mistakes,”” Haywood said. “”We had three double bogeys in the second round (last weekend). Our goal is to not get doubles. They are mental mistakes, they shouldn’t happen.””

The tournament also gives the Wildcats another chance to make a statement to the other four ranked Pacific 10 Conference teams, especially No. 1 UCLA and No. 2 ASU.

“”The Pac-10 is the toughest conference in the country,”” Haywood said. “”Our girls know they can compete against any Pac-10 team. That’s why they’re at U of A.””

Added senior Alison Walshe: “”We definitely want to get back to prove ourselves.””

One individual looking to redeem herself this week is freshman Alejandra Llaneza. The five-time Mexico national champion finished tied for 77th in her collegiate debut.

“”I need to be more focused on my game and not worry about the other schools,”” she said. “”Playing in the U.S. is a lot different (than in Mexico). There is a higher level of competition here.””

The tournament will be played on New Mexico’s Championship Course, the same course that will play host to the NCAA Championships in May.

“”This tournament is very important,”” Haywood said. “”We need to get in four good rounds and get our confidence up.””