Police Beat

The driver of a silver Chevrolet Malibu was arrested for driving with a revoked driver’s license and for an outstanding warrant last Tuesday.

Police initially stopped the man because he was driving 45 mph in a 35 mph zone. The officer asked the man for his license and he said, “”I don’t have a license, it’s suspended because of a DUI,”” according to reports.

A records check revealed that his driver’s license was revoked for a DUI from March 23, 2007, to March 23, 2008. The records also revealed that he had a warrant out from the Pima Community College Police Department.

The officer double-lock handcuffed the man, searched him and transported him to Pima County Jail, where he was booked into custody. The vehicle was towed and impounded.

A woman driving a gray Mitsubishi SUV was cited and released for driving on a suspended license.

The officer stopped the vehicle at the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North Tyndall Avenue because of an expired registration tag.

A records check revealed that the driver’s license was suspended. She said she was not aware that her license had been suspended but later admitted she did not go to court for a traffic ticket that she received because she was out of town.

An elevator on the northeast corner of the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., sustained minimal criminal damage on Tuesday.

Police responded to a call about interior damage to a sign on the southwest side of an elevator. A burn mark appeared on a small area of the 4-inch-by-4-inch maroon plastic sign, most likely from a lighter or a match, according to reports. The sign was 100 percent legible and did not need replacement.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Two residents of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 940 E. Fifth St., were referred to the Dean of Students for underage drinking and verbally warned about walking in the middle of the street and attempting to hitchhike Aug 26.

A police officer drove past the two women as they were walking westbound on East First Street, just south of the Delta Chi fraternity house, 1701 E. First St. The women were walking in the middle of the street instead of on the sidewalk.

They both raised their hands in the air with their thumbs extended in a manner consistent with that of a hitchhiker. They immediately dropped their arms when the police patrol car drove past them.

The women told the officer that they were just joking about the hitchhiking because they thought their friend was coming to pick them up.

The officer smelled the scent of intoxicants coming from the women’s mouths and asked them if they had been drinking. Both admitted to underage drinking. The women told the officer that they were coming from the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1801 E. First St., but that they had only drank earlier in their dorm and not at the fraternity house.

The officer offered to call a taxi for the women, but they refused and opted to walk back to the residence hall.

Police attempted to locate the driver of a brown Chevrolet Tahoe on the basis that he drove away from a party extremely intoxicated.

Two people running eastbound on East Speedway Boulevard near North First Avenue flagged a police officer down. They told the officer that their friend left a party because he was upset. The two people told the officer that they believed that the driver may have been headed to his fraternity house, Phi Kappa Tau, 1157 E. Mabel St.

A man was arrested for underage drinking and giving false information to an officer Aug. 25 at the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house, 1449 N. Cherry Ave.

Police arrived at the fraternity house on a tip that a 14-year-old girl might possibly be at a UA party. The fraternity president allowed the officer to search the house and told the officer that he would cooperate in the investigation in any way.

While searching the house, the officer saw one room that had 17 people crammed into the living space. The officer asked the people whose room it was, but no one answered. The officer asked them all to leave the room, but one man lingered in the doorway.

Once the room was emptied the officer saw a large quantity of open Keystone Light beer cans and a metal stand with three bottles of liquor on it. The officer asked the lingering man if he was the owner of the room and how old he was.

The man told the officer that it was not his room, that he was 21 years old and his birth date was March 20, 1984. The officer noticed that his speech was slurred, his eyes were red and watery, and his breath smelled moderately of liquor. The man walked away from the officer while he was performing a records check.

When the officer found the man he asked him again what his date of birth was and he said March 20, 1987.

The officer told the man that he was under arrest for giving false information to law enforcement and for underage drinking.

To prevent him from disappearing again the officer double-lock handcuffed the man and escorted him to the police car.

The 14-year-old girl was found later that night riding in a white Pontiac Grand Am.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.