Cast a spell with Cryptacize

California natives Cryptacize bring its magic to Solar Culture on Saturday at 9 p.m.

The band Cryptacize is about as hard to narrow down as the imaginary word that is its name. Based in Crockett, Calif., Cryptacize’s initial musical influence stemmed from the smell of a sugar factory and a slightly off-kilter apartment. All the band needed from there was an appropriate name. Apparently put-off by all those mediocre words that fill volumes of dictionaries, vocalist Nedelle Torrisi settled on the made-up word “”cryptacize.””

“”It’s kinda like a magic word that popped into Nedelle’s head one day,”” said Chris Cohen, vocalist and guitarist for the band. “”It’s a nonsensical word that is not in the dictionary. It means – well, like I said, it’s a magic word for us.””

Torrisi and Cohen had played with each other in various bands and saw Cryptacize as their chance to write and perform their own songs; all they lacked was a drummer. Enter Michael Carreira, a guy looking to play “”more cowbell”” in a professional, hard-working band. In order to find that outlet, Carreira sent out YouTube videos to various bands demonstrating his ability. One of those bands was Cryptacize.

“”We convinced (Carreira) that this was going to be a professional band,”” Cohen said. “”We’re still trying to keep it from him that we’re really actually amateurs.””

With a full trio, the band began work on its first album, Dig That Treasure. Completed earlier this year, the album sounds like a mix between Rilo Kiley and Belle and Sebastian. Throw in some magic and theatrics and you have yourself a fanciful Cryptacize potion.

Following the completion of the album, the band is now beginning their Dig That Treasure tour and Tucson will be its second stop. While Cryptacize has never played here, Cohen has fond memories of when his previous band, The Curtains, came through town and he found himself in a whimsical land: the Chicago Music Store, 103 E. Congress St.

“”We went to this incredible music store,”” Cohen said. “”We went upstairs and the lights were off and we were wandering around in all those piles of broken drums and tubas and things, it was like a dream.””

Cohen also recalled playing at the downtown music venue Solar Culture, the location of Saturday’s show. In recent history, Solar Culture has had to work hard to keep its doors open due to various safety concerns. While the venue has done a lot to improve conditions, it still has been forced to divert bigger bands to other venues in order to meet safety regulations. It is clear that Cohen has no reservations about revisiting the venue to play with his new band Cyptacize.

“”That’s ridiculous, that place has been there for, like, hundreds of years. It’s not going to cave in,”” Cohen said. “”It’s a nice place. I really like Solar Culture. I remember the owner was really nice.””

One thing is for sure: Solar Culture should have no fear of Cryptacize rocking the place to the ground. The band aims only for a mellow night in a captivating “”musical fantasia.””

“”Our live show is not incredibly loud, we tend to be quieter than other bands but we concentrate really hard when we’re playing,”” Cohen said.

Aside from concentrating, vocalist Torrisi has a series of hand gestures that she uses while singing in order to entrance and mystify the crowds.

“”(The hand gestures) are kind of meant to heighten the dramatic mood of Cryptacize’s music,”” Cohen said. “”It’s supposed to entrance the audience and kind of put them in the right mood to hear our songs. It’s sort of like casting a spell, not like everyday life.””

Cryptacize will cast its spell at Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave., on Saturday at 9 p.m. Tickets are $8 at the door.

“”If people are free, we would like to invite them to attend the show,”” Cohen said. “”We’d like them to come and talk to us, we’re very friendly people.””