Arizona soccer falls to Cal 3-0 on Halloween

Ericka Rios

The Arizona soccer team begins to celebrate with the fans before the game.

While most people were out trick or treating on Halloween, Arizona women’s soccer spent its Thursday afternoon in Berkeley, Calif., facing off against the University of California, Berkeley on Thursday. The Wildcats, however, were not celebrating the spooky season, as they suffered their fifth loss of the season, dropping the match 0-3. Cal goalkeeper Angelina Anderson logged a career high in saves with 10 to silence Arizona’s potent offense. 

Arizona got off to a hot start by putting up 10 shots in the first half, six of which were on goal. The Wildcats’ biggest opportunity came in the 34th minute when forward Hannah Clifford sent a shot off the right post that deflected wide. 

While the stat line was dominated by Arizona in the first 45 minutes, it was Cal that had the early advantage at halftime, leading the match 1-0. Forward Denae Antoine cleaned up a corner in the 21st minute that sprung around the box before finding the foot of Antoine and into the back of the net. 

The Golden Bears have been scoring a ton of goals in the second half this season and continued to do just that against Arizona, netting a pair of goals in the first 20 minutes following halftime.

Cal’s second goal was a product of Abi Kim’s electric speed as she bursted through the Arizona backline to send her shot near post.

Cal padded its lead with another goal in the 63rd minute, and it was Abi Kim again haunting the Wildcats with her speed. Kim won the foot race to get to an over-the-top through ball and beat Hope Hisey to the ball and extended the Bears’ lead to 3-0. 

Arizona created five more shots on goal in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to create a comeback when the final whistle blew. 

The Wildcats are now 10-5-1 overall and 4-4-1 in Pac-12 play. They hope to finish the weekend road trip with a better result against Stanford on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter