Men’s group aims to end violence against women

There are many groups on campus aimed at empowering women and helping them fight violence and discrimination. But now there is a new group focused on giving men the opportunity to fight for the same cause.

Men Against Violence aims to help encourage all members of the community to become involved in the violence prevention process.

The group, a faction of the Oasis Program, is looking to expand and gain members interested in ending violence as a community.

“”There are lots of groups like this around college campuses,”” said Zach Nicolazzo, violence prevention specialist for the Oasis Program and adviser for MAV. “”It is a way to engage men positively in ending violence.””

Nicolazzo said while the club might be young its intentions are good.

While many students may not have heard of the group, there is a positive response surrounding the idea.

“”I bet at first they have some problems getting members and stuff, a typical slow start,”” said Steven Gould, a microbiology junior. “”However, once they get momentum, I think people will respond in a positive way because this is definitely an issue and it comes up in the news periodically.””

Kristin Shermer, a sociology freshman, said she agrees.

“”It’s nice to know there are guys out there who care that much and are willing to step up and do something about it,”” Shermer said. “”I’m glad that someone is doing something. It is an issue that needs to be dealt with and the more people who recognize that the better.””

The group is not only aimed at preventing violence against women, but rather preventing violence against people.

Nicolazzo said he feels the group can help break stereotypes and misconceptions some people may have.

“”I think a lot of men feel like they are constantly put on the defensive when it comes to talking about sexual assault,”” Nicolazzo said. “”It’s almost as if most guys think it’s their fault because a lot of violence against women is by men. But this is a way to engage them positively and say ‘what can we do to make this better community for all of us.'””