Police Beat: November 5

Fraud in the City of Love

A UAPD officer responded to a case of credit card fraud reported by a employee of the UA Cancer Center at 8:42 a.m. on Oct. 31. The woman informed the officer that three days earlier, her credit card had been used for a fraudulent charge of $626.77 from Magic Recycle in Paris. The woman said that she hadn’t authorized any purchases from there and had always been in possession of her card.

Following the charge, at her card supplier’s recommendation, she cut it up and destroyed it.

She informed officers that she had made her last charge on the card on the phone, from three separate Baggin’s Gourmet Sandwiches for a work lunch several days prior. The case was forwarded to detectives and the woman was mailed victim’s rights documentation.

Foreign affairs

A UAPD officer reported to the Student Union Memorial Center in response to a man who had his MacBook Air laptop stolen at 9:50 p.m. on Oct. 31. The man said he was sitting at a table on the west side of the student union when a man came from behind him, stole his computer and began running northbound.

The man described the thief as about 5-foot-8, wearing a dark hoodie and with a scruffy beard. Patrol units inspected the area, but found no one fitting his description.

The man told officers that his computer had been purchased in China, and only used Chinese. He said he didn’t know the serial number for his computer and would be unable to find that information.

Good friends will hold your grams

A UAPD officer stopped a gray Jeep headed southbound past a do not enter sign near the Tyndall Avenue and Sixth Street intersection at 1:43 a.m. on Oct. 31.

While the officer looked at the driver’s California driver’s license, the officer noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The officer told both the driver and the passenger to get out of the car and sit on a curb. The officer called for backup to keep an eye on the two while he inspected the car.

During inspection, the officer found a purple bottle containing marijuana, two lighters, a multicolored glass pipe, two plastic bags and a prescription bottle with no label containing marijuana residue. All of these items were under a front seat, well within the reach of the passenger.

The officer then pulled each suspect aside and questioned them. The driver said neither the pipe nor the marijuana were his and that he had smoked a day before in the vehicle with a friend, who must have left the items behind.

The officer then spoke with the passenger of the car, who admitted to putting both items under the passenger seat when he noticed the officer. The officer asked the passenger if the marijuana was his, to which the man responded, “I was in possession of it,” adding that he was holding it for a friend.

The officer cited the passenger for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He then administered a field sobriety test to the driver, and, after determining that he was not impaired, cited and released him. The officer took the marijuana, which weighed two grams, and placed it into UAPD Property and Evidence.